Has the time come to abolish the pint in favour of the Litre?

What size should a standard can of beer be?  

29 members have voted

1. 1. What size should a standard can of beer be?

• A pint!
    • A litre!
    • Hiccup.
    • Don't know.

Aye, sadly our EU masters have the upper hand on us. WHY should the UK need a derogation. We were GREAT Britain, these days we are subservient to the EU.

Angel.

You misunderstand, on purpose maybe, the meaning of the word Great in Great Britain.

I don't know of any other country in the world that is so ridiculously insular that it refuses to adopt an infinitely better and simpler system for no other reason than a Frenchman invented it.

America .

So, if they'd had the sense to go through with it, this argument would have been laid to rest before any of us were born, and we wouldn't have had to waste so much time at school learning a whole plethora of completely stupid units and trying to memorise how many of them made which.

I don't even know what a kilohenry is, but I know there are 1,000 of them in a megahenry. Who can tell me, offhand, how many gills are in a gallon, or how many roods in an acre?

I don't know of any other country in the world that is so ridiculously insular that it refuses to adopt an infinitely better and simpler system for no other reason than a Frenchman invented it.

America is happy enough to continue using miles, yards and feet within its borders. Its aviation altitudes are always in feet too, more precise than the meter because it is smaller. We buy land in acres, but laughed at the British for taking so long to using metric for money. When I worked in the paper industry, amounts were measured in pounds per ream. The only problem was that the ream wasn't always the same

size depending on the basic weight of the sheet. I spent a long time convincing the powers that be to change the standard to grams per meter squared, regardless of basis weight.

When I worked in the paper industry, amounts were measured in pounds per ream. The only problm was that the ream wasn't always the same

size depending on the basic weigh of the sheet. I spent a long time convincing the powers that be to change the standard to grams per meter squared.

Yes.

Imperial ream = 480 sheets.

Metric 'ream'= 500 sheets.

But neither has any relevance to gsm.

The trouble with drinking a litre of beer is that many types of beer go flat before you get to the bottom of the drink. Unless you drink twice as fast it doesn't taste as good.

Indeed Newcastle Brown tastes sublime out of a half glass topped up from the bottle. If you pour the whole bottle into a pint it tastes flat and horrible.

Archived