Should planners be lined up against a wall and shot..

.....for crimes against humanity?

I'm talking about the program 'The Secret History of Our Streets - 1. Deptford High Street'

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b01jt9bv/The_Secret_History_of_Our_Streets_Deptford_High_Street/

This seems as clear a case of ethnic cleansing that I've ever come across, albeit done for, what the planners delusionarily thought, were the best of reasons.

Personally I find the arrogance, naivity and sheer cowardice of the people involved (both planners and councillors) unforgiveable. If there's one fundamental position all planners need to fall back on when making decisions that should over rule all other decisions is that you improve what's already there as opposed to knocking down and building an alien environment that nobody living there wants. Basically, when it comes to regeneration (and life in general), evolution rather than revolution.....it's more sustainable environmentally, socially and culturally!

I didn't see all the programme but sometimes there is a case for clearance as happened in Sheffield slums. It's a pity they were replaced with high rise slums. Personally, I think planners are far too powerful and arrogant, believing themselves to be the only ones capable of making such decisions and overriding the needs of people. Planners see only bricks and mortar and don't care about community. Plus the fact that they always have to have a say in every decision to keep themselves in cushy, tax payer funded, jobs.

I can already hear Planner1's fingers on the keyboard.

Clearly if the housing is approaching 'shanty town' level then demolition may be the only option but if you have clearly solidly built properties that have been 'architecturally designed' like the properties you see towards the end of the program then this is clearly a case of institutionalised vandalism.

I'm talking about the program 'The Secret History of Our Streets - 1. Deptford High Street'

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b01jt9bv/The_Secret_History_of_Our_Streets_Deptford_High_Street/

This seems as clear a case of ethnic cleansing that I've ever come across, albeit done for, what the planners delusionarily thought, were the best of reasons.

Personally I find the arrogance, naivity and sheer cowardice of the people involved (both planners and councillors) unforgiveable. If there's one fundamental position all planners need to fall back on when making decisions that should over rule all other decisions is that you improve what's already there as opposed to knocking down and building an alien environment that nobody living there wants. Basically, when it comes to regeneration (and life in general), evolution rather than revolution.....it's more sustainable environmentally, socially and culturally!

lined up against a wall and shot----is your real name clarkson by any chance?

Ethnic Cleansing? Leaving aside the Toynbee-esque frothing Hyperbole, I presume you are unaware that planners only implement decisions based on national and local policy and don't just decide things on a whim? For big and controversial decisions blame politicians and councillors, not those who merely implement what the Ivory Towers decree.

Ethnic Cleansing? Leaving aside the Toynbee-esque frothing Hyperbole, I presume you are unaware that planners only implement decisions based on national and local policy and don't just decide things on a whim? For big and controversial decisions blame politicians and councillors, not those who merely implement what the Ivory Towers decree.

I think you need to re-read what I said. I actually included councillors in my toynebee-esque hyperbole.:)

Archived