Working mens club trips

Southey Green's annual trip was to Cleethorpes. I remember the coaches lined all the way up Southey Green Road. After arriving in Cleethorpes, we were forced to line up at a restaurant just off the promenade. There we were served an awful meal of fish and chips, then we were given, I think 2/6 in cash, and a bunch of tickets for the various funfair rides. A brown luggage type of label was attached to our clothing indicating our names, and who we were with, and we were let loose on Cleethorpes for a few hours. In all the years I went, I can't remember anyone getting lost, or even being late for the homeward journey.

I wasn't dreaming then, the fish dinner was real ha ha.

In the60s the Gun and Baggin in Dalton used to take dozens of buses on the day trip to Cleethorpes.

On one trip, about 5 o clock and after a good days' drinking, a couple of the local likely lads were walking along the beach towards the buses when they came across one of their pals,a little worse for wear. They asked which bus he was on and after getting no sense out of him decided to take him onto their own bus to make sure he got home

He slept in a drunken state and woke up as the coach was coming down Whinney Hill in Thryberg "Where am I " he asked . When they told him how they had helped him he said " That's OK but I was in Cleethorpes with the wife and kids for the week".:confused::confused:

we used to go on the dial house trip every year to skegness...Great memories.i remember one time the adults coach had to pull up at a beauty spot so several inhebriated women couls have a pee!!!what a sight for sore eyes....lol

Me too.....all this talk of Cleethorpes!

We went to Skeggy with the Dial House Mob.

Posh we were...:hihi:

Southey Green's annual trip was to Cleethorpes. I remember the coaches lined all the way up Southey Green Road. After arriving in Cleethorpes, we were forced to line up at a restaurant just off the promenade. There we were served an awful meal of fish and chips, then we were given, I think 2/6 in cash, and a bunch of tickets for the various funfair rides. A brown luggage type of label was attached to our clothing indicating our names, and who we were with, and we were let loose on Cleethorpes for a few hours. In all the years I went, I can't remember anyone getting lost, or even being late for the homeward journey.
Awful fish and chips,listen mate when we went in the 40s and 50s any free food was good especially when we were hungry and that was most of the time.Southey Club trips to Cleethorpes BRILLIANT the only holiday we had,half a crown,a packet of crisps,bottle of pop and maybe an orange or apple.Thanks to these clubs and the people who ran them we kids at least got out of town for a day in Wonderland.

Oh the nostalgia.... The Dial House W.M.C. annual trip in the 1950s to Skeggy, or with the Holly Bush Inn Fishing Club to Cleethorpes or Brid. The Hirst & Sweetings or Law Brothers coaches lined up in the morning, free sweets and a small bottle of S.Y.D.S. pop on the way there, and an envelope with 2s 6d spending money. A label attached to our lapels with the time and place of the return departure in case we got lost (but nobody did). A fish & chip dinner at Woolies (the Holly Bush Inn trip was a bit more select - 4s 6d spending money and dinner at Lyons Corner Café, but still fish & chips, with ice cream for afters). A ride on the dodgems, a paddle in the sea (if it wasn't a mile out as it usually was at Cleethorpes). Or from Brid. a cruise on the Yorkshire Belle or Boys Own to Flamborough Head and back. Dropping a stink bomb in the amusements and running off, or shaking the machine until the alarm rang (and running off...). Singing "One Man Went to Mo" on the coach coming home (alternatively "This Old Man, He Played One" or "There Was Thee Jews from Jerusalem" etc.). Mum and dad waiting for the bunch of tired kids when we got back.

Memories.....:)

i remember the southey social trip coaches lined all the way from top roundabout to bottom one an beyond must have been 15 20 coaches its was really exciting getting on coach at 7-8 am spending money £10 pop sweets it was brill we went to skeggy and blackpool with them why dont they do this anymore or do the

I cannot possibly be the only one who remembers going to Cleethorpes with the Dial House Club and being issued with a card full of cut off tickets, two for all the rides in Wonderland. We used to do swops for our favourite rides with other kids. All good fun! We also got a free fish and chip dinner in one of the restaurants/cafes. As a previous threader so rightly said, it was all paid for by our parents courtesy of the bingo and various raffles.