Whats the going rate for a monetary gift for a wedding?

As the title says. I'm going to a wedding this weekend and they have asked for money as their gift. Opinions are widely divided on the sum that should be given.

The groom is a good friend and we don't really know the bride too well. Some have said £250 some have said £10 both of which I feel are too far at opposite ends of the scale.

So....... What would you give?

Wouldn't give money as a wedding gift. I'd give them a cheap toaster or pots and pans from Argos with the receipt. Just to be awkward. For value I'd say 50£ is enough.

TBH pay what you can afford really, don't go skinting yourself just for a present, money is always awkward. You will get those that can afford a lot & those who can't, as said just get them something nice from Argos or such.:)

Are they asking for money towards a specific gift? If you know what they want the money for you could then try a complicated mathematical formula to work out how much you should give them. Failing that £25 to £50 would seem OK to me.

They've specifically asked not to be given gifts especially household things. They've lived together for a number of years.

It is a difficult one to know what is the correct sum.

As the title says. I'm going to a wedding this weekend and they have asked for money as their gift. Opinions are widely divided on the sum that should be given.

The groom is a good friend and we don't really know the bride too well. Some have said £250 some have said £10 both of which I feel are too far at opposite ends of the scale.

So....... What would you give?

Similar circumstances to you i gave 500 but i was flush at the time.

If you cant afford a lot give what you can give.

A good mate wont expect much if anything really so anything will be nice.

Wouldn't give money as a wedding gift. I'd give them a cheap toaster or pots and pans from Argos with the receipt. Just to be awkward. For value I'd say 50£ is enough.

You sound like the ex :(

They've specifically asked not to be given gifts especially household things. They've lived together for a number of years.

Well then I'd be even more inclined to buy them household items.

Otherwise it's just like begging with a big party. :)

It used to be insulting to give people money as a present. And it makes the whole thing more political with different people giving different amounts that can be compared so easily.

A waffle iron. Not many couples have one of those. You can't go wrong with a waffle iron.

http://m.macys.com/shop/product/nordicware-stovetop-belgian-waffle-maker-original?ID=567657&cm_mmc=Google_Feed_UK-_-6-_-77-_-MP677

As people have said, it depends on how much you can afford & what relationship you have with the couple.

When we got married - I would say rule of thumb - average was about £50 from a couple

More like £100 from grown-ups/relatives (by that I mean older than our peers - which is late 20's/early 30's)

Hope that helps?

Archived