Whats the going rate for a monetary gift for a wedding?

PS. I don't know why people feel like it's 'begging' - most weddings cost about £50-£100 per guest for the day for their food & drink, so if they were really tight/hard up, they just wouldn't invite you at all! :hihi:

Some people buy expensive gifts which the couple might already have/not like... so really it's saving people from throwing their money away on something unwanted.

They've said it's toward their honeymoon. I think we'll go between £25 and £50. You're right it is so political. You don't want to be the only ones to give £25 when everyone else gives £50+. A girl at work got married recently and she said the average they got was £25.

Just give what you feel comfortable giving.

Like for my good friends wedding I gave the couple £60 (plus another £30 in their 'drink' jar) as they were using the money to pay for their honeymoon to go on later in the year. Another wedding we only gave £20, as it was my partners work colleague and they requested no gifts.

Where I grew up you give a physical gift AND a cash gift that should equate to how much it cost to feed you per head (so about $125 per couple)

My friend in Canada said they give a gift at the bridal shower then about $100 per head so $200 per couple "cover charge" it's so much money!

I think in Canada & America it's also the norm to have a completely free bar throughout the whole wedding so swings & roundabouts maybe?!

They've said it's toward their honeymoon. I think we'll go between £25 and £50. You're right it is so political. You don't want to be the only ones to give £25 when everyone else gives £50+. A girl at work got married recently and she said the average they got was £25.

In israel there's a minimum set amount that's agreed on. People closer to the couple bring much more. There's usually a giant letterbox that someone guards all day and the couple, sometimes with the parents also go back to the hotel, count the checks, place the amounts next to each guests name, then deposit it at the bank. That's not how I'd want to spend my wedding night.

It's always struck me as missing the point of giving a gift and to use the cost of the wedding per head is silly. If you can't afford it don't have one.

The last Israeli wedding I went to last year the amount was 300shekels per head. Many of the uncles brought more and one brought less. This was argued about and the couple decided it was an insult to them.

As the parents pay for most weddings, it seems strange to me that the couple wants money from it.

There are also thousands of guests in weddings over there do the evening can be quite profitable with tales of some getting well over 100000£.

I don't know if it's Greece or Bulgaria where they give gold nuggets on a string to the bride but this seems a much better way of doing it as its anonymous and somehow less crude than handing over cash.

Tactfully try to find out what the cost per head of the wedding is going to be and give the equivalent, maybe plus 10%?

At least then you'll be cost neutral. :)

Thereby, balancing the wedding cost book. Romance at its purest.

Wouldn't give money as a wedding gift. I'd give them a cheap toaster or pots and pans from Argos with the receipt. Just to be awkward. For value I'd say 50£ is enough.

Thereby, balancing the wedding cost book. Romance at its purest.
And your suggestion of buying something cheap and nasty just to be awkward is the better way? :rolleyes:

Archived