Whats the going rate for a monetary gift for a wedding?

And your suggestion of buying something cheap and nasty just to be awkward is the better way? :rolleyes:

Yes. I did settle on the idea of the waffle iron though. And it would save a person "tactfully finding out how much a wedding was costing per head"

I just don't like to bring money into every aspect of life.

Edit: and I never said buy something nasty. Who'd want a rubydazzler for a wedding present? :hihi:

Personally I think it is a damn cheek asking for money in the first place.If you cannot afford the wedding do not get married until you can.

What you said.......I would never give cash as a gift.

If the couple had lived together for while and did not need anything I would rather give a voucher for a treat to them (a meal perhaps or cinema tickets).

As the title says. I'm going to a wedding this weekend and they have asked for money as their gift. Opinions are widely divided on the sum that should be given.

The groom is a good friend and we don't really know the bride too well. Some have said £250 some have said £10 both of which I feel are too far at opposite ends of the scale.

So....... What would you give?

Turn it round and ask yourself, what would you be happy with if you was receiving the money as a wedding gift.

When Mr G and I got married many moons ago we had a mix of gifts. Our English guests gave us the usual household gifts and our Chinese guests gave us red envelopes with lucky money in. We received enough to buy all our bedroom furniture. I was really pleased we didn't have to do the Chinese tradition of all the guests bouncing on the marriage bed though ! Lol. To the OP , £25 to £50 is way enough .

My friend in Canada said they give a gift at the bridal shower then about $100 per head so $200 per couple "cover charge" it's so much money!

Yeah, its not common in most places of North America, but think its more common amongst Italian-American/Canadian families than anyone else - where weddings are commonly attended by at least 300+ people for the WHOLE day.

Then theres the whole open bar thing there....

Some folks who were not even invited to our wedding sent gifts or money! Some who attended did not give anything more than their heartfelt good wishes which was more than enough.

We were also lucky enough to receive an amazing hamper made up with scrummy treats.

A tree, canvas photo printing and Ticketmaster vouchers go down nicely too :)

I once asked a travel agent how much people spent on honeymoon vouchers as I requested £50 worth, they said that was loads, so I reduced the amount and felt guilty ever since :(

We get married later in the year and aside from a very limited gift list (we live in a small house and already have all the household goods we need so have neither any need nor any space for extraneous waffle toasters or gravy boats) are requesting cash. Anything form a card + £0 upwards is acceptable. The cost of the wedding do is, I think, irrelevant.

I personally have given anything from to £10 to £100 depending upon my relationship to the bride and groom and my particular cash flow at the time.

jb

Archived