Whats the going rate for a monetary gift for a wedding?

my friend is getting married soon and has requested money as they have lived together and dont need household items, so are wanting to buy something really special on honeymoon. She is having red envelopes and a box so everyone can put the money in there and not in cards are given to them :)

Personally I think it is a damn cheek asking for money in the first place.If you cannot afford the wedding do not get married until you can.

Asking for money instead of toasters doesn't imply that they can't afford the wedding. It obviously means that they have all the household items they need and don't want a small collection of toasters and kettles in the attic.

We asked that people put money towards our honeymoon, for the reason above, there was nothing for the house we needed as we've been here for a decade.

Thank goodness I have come across this thread.

I am going to a wedding at the end of the month and realised I don't even know what the bride and groom want for their wedding so I have sent a message to ask!!!

Back to the thread I agree the £25 to £50 mark. :)

I don't see the problem with asking for money. Couples now live together a lot longer before marriage so accumulate all the household items they need. Why buy them a present they don't need or aren't going to use?

Cheeky? Do you like these people!? If not don't give them anything and turn down the ivitation. If you do, be happy for them and give what you are able to afford.

P.s. I've asked for money towards honeymoon at my wedding (which just so happens to be this weekend.) I will be grateful for anything we receive and won't be upset if someone decides not to bother.

Life's too short...Some say marriage is too long.....

What makes you think we can't afford it?

We're spending our wedding day with family and people we love and enjoy our company. If they want to provide a gift why not something that is going to be used and come in handy?

EDIT: In your eyes is asking for/expecting any gift begging?

What makes you think we can't afford it?

We're spending our wedding day with family and people we love and enjoy our company. If they want to provide a gift why not something that is going to be used and come in handy?

EDIT: In your eyes is asking for/expecting any gift begging?

No, but asking for money is.

Archived