Please consider signing this petition..

I don't often start new threads but this needs to be brought to peoples attention:

Please join the Rationalist Association (UK) in condemning the misuse of Indian law by the Catholic Church to silence a campaigner against superstition. In March 2012, following his exposure of a supposed miracle at a Catholic Church in Mumbai as nothing more than the result of a leak, a complaint was lodged against Sanal Edamaruku by the local Catholic Archdiocese with the Mumbai police, who are now able to arrest him. He has been denied 'anticipatory' bail which means if arrested he faces a long term in prison merely for explaining the science behind an apparent mystery.

Please consider signing the petition here.

Articles about the above can be found at the links below:

1) Rationalist International

2) Richard Dawkins Foundation for Reason and Science

3) New Humanist

4)

Dig a bit deeper and it transpires that this whole episode is the work of a controversial tv channel (TV-9) openly anti gay and not above printing deliberate misquotes they invited the guy to Mumbai to stir trouble.

I wonder how much of this is to promote the Indian Rationalist Association (catchy abbreviation there chaps)?

The Times of India says that Sanal Edamaruku is require for questioning under

Section 295 (defiling place of worship with intent to insult the religion of any class) by The Organisation of Concerned Catholics and the Catholic Secular Forum.

"Sanal had come to the city recently to investigate the issue of water dripping from a cross at Irla. Sanal, whose trip was sponsored by a TV channel, had said that the phenomenon was not a miracle and caused by capillary action."

I find no links between this man with the " catchy abbreviation..." IRA or "openly anti gay" and "printing deliberate misquotes".

The Times of India says that Sanal Edamaruku is require for questioning under

Section 295 (defiling place of worship with intent to insult the religion of any class) by The Organisation of Concerned Catholics and the Catholic Secular Forum.

"Sanal had come to the city recently to investigate the issue of water dripping from a cross at Irla. Sanal, whose trip was sponsored by a TV channel, had said that the phenomenon was not a miracle and caused by capillary action."

I find no links between this man with the " catchy abbreviation..." IRA or "openly anti gay" and "printing deliberate misquotes".

There are no links with Sanal and the IRA i never suggested there were but there are links to TV-9's gay hunt.

http://www.queerty.com/why-is-this-indian-tv-network-cruising-planetromeo-com-and-exposing-its-gay-users-20110224/

The link is to a site "where catholics and in particular catholics of Mumbai, Thane and Navi Mumbai can air their views and read about catholic happenings worldwide."

There is no mention of a link between this man and the " catchy abbreviation..." IRA or "openly anti gay" and "printing deliberate misquotes" or "they invited the guy to Mumbai to stir trouble."

The link is to a site "where catholics and in particular catholics of Mumbai, Thane and Navi Mumbai can air their views and read about catholic happenings worldwide."

There is no mention of a link between this man and the " catchy abbreviation..." IRA or "openly anti gay" and "printing deliberate misquotes" or "they invited the guy to Mumbai to stir trouble."

Where am i linking the man in question to anything?

I don't often start new threads but this needs to be brought to peoples attention:

Please join the Rationalist Association (UK) in condemning the misuse of Indian law by the Catholic Church to silence a campaigner against superstition. In March 2012, following his exposure of a supposed miracle at a Catholic Church in Mumbai as nothing more than the result of a leak, a complaint was lodged against Sanal Edamaruku by the local Catholic Archdiocese with the Mumbai police, who are now able to arrest him. He has been denied 'anticipatory' bail which means if arrested he faces a long term in prison merely for explaining the science behind an apparent mystery.

Please consider signing the petition here.

Articles about the above can be found at the links below:

1) Rationalist International

2) Richard Dawkins Foundation for Reason and Science

3) New Humanist

4)

Ryedo At first glance at your post,i was going to sign the petition,i don't believe in those kind of miracles,and thought it appalling that someone should be treated like that by the Catholic authorities (and i did examine your links) but then i searched for further details in the mainstream media and found nothing,only this article about Sanal Edamaruka in the Guardian>http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/belief/2010/may/18/prahlad-jani-india-sunshine

As you know i believe a lot of things but i am as sceptical about his claims as i am about the miracle.

Archived