Raped as passengers too tight to lend someone 20p for bus fare

Yes they are. If you see a person that needs help, you help. If you walk on, you have some responsibility for the fate of the individual that needed help.

I'm not responsible by proxy. It's false, vastly false. If you give a man £1 and he buys a knife and kills someone, would you equally be responsible for that crime?

It was my point. Why is it "stupid" and "puerile"?

If I'm responsible for not doing something, then I am equally responsible for doing something, surely?

Not dodging just don't see point of making up hypothetical scenarios to try and make what happened acceptable

It's not hypothetical though...buses pass lone women every night..should the passengers demand it stop and pick them up?

In my humble opinion, there is always room for a bit of kindness and understanding in any given situation. When I worked for a local authority, my colleagues and I several times had a whip round to get the bus fare for a homeless person trying to get to a hostel. It wasn't a rule, no-one told us we had to do it, but it seemed the right thing to do at the time, rather than send someone who may have been sleeping rough to walk miles in the rain.

I wouldn't just hand cash to someone who came up to me asking for money 'to get home', but someone who is already getting on a bus, has most of their fare (nearly £5) and is 20p short would seem genuine to me.

I can also understand why bus drivers wouldn't want to let someone on without paying -most of the time - but a little bit of thought about a young woman travelling alone at 3am should have persuaded him to let her leave her details so she could pay the missing 20p later. I really hope he can live with himself for not offering her that opportunity, as it is allowed by most (if not all) transport companies.

The young woman has had a horrendous experience, I hope she gets the love and support to help her recover. I also hope the rapist gets a very, very long custodial sentence.

In my humble opinion, there is always room for a bit of kindness and understanding in any given situation. When I worked for a local authority, my colleagues and I several times had a whip round to get the bus fare for a homeless person trying to get to a hostel. It wasn't a rule, no-one told us we had to do it, but it seemed the right thing to do at the time, rather than send someone who may have been sleeping rough to walk miles in the rain.

I wouldn't just hand cash to someone who came up to me asking for money 'to get home', but someone who is already getting on a bus, has most of their fare (nearly £5) and is 20p short would seem genuine to me.

I can also understand why bus drivers wouldn't want to let someone on without paying -most of the time - but a little bit of thought about a young woman travelling alone at 3am should have persuaded him to let her leave her details so she could pay the missing 20p later.

The young woman has had a horrendous experience, I hope she gets the love and support to help her recover. I also hope the rapist gets a very, very long custodial sentence.

Thanks Ms McBeth, my sentiments exactly. She could have rung her mother from the bus to meet her at destination and I'm sure her mother would have had the 20p - it's ridiculous behaviour by so called caring society

Thanks Ms McBeth, my sentiments exactly. She could have rung her mother from the bus to meet her at destination and I'm sure her mother would have had the 20p - it's ridiculous behaviour by so called caring society

And lets face it, who would really miss 20p?

Archived