Raped as passengers too tight to lend someone 20p for bus fare

she was 22 not 12. Its her responsibility to make sure she has enough money to get home. I never go out without keeping more than enough to get home again. I don't see why this has anything to do with the bus driver or other passengers:huh:

Yes it was entirely her responsibility to make sure she had the funds to get home, but because she was alone, it was her last bus and she was only 20p short then I think the driver should have allow her on to the bus. It’s clearly not her fault, the drivers fault, or passenger fault that she was raped.

But it does demonstrate how uncaring we are becoming when a young lady that is 20p short is expected to find another way home.

It's an awful thing, and we have here the usual SF mix of outraged sympathy and outright criticism of the victim, although I'm sure that the driver and passengers on the bus are all wishing now they'd done something different at the time.

If I'd been on the bus, and she'd turned around and explained the problem, I'd have given her the fare, obviously, but perhaps no-one but the driver realised what was going on at the time.

In the day when I was a regular bus traveller, I've given the driver the fare for a random stranger on occasion, more to get the bus moving again than anything else, but I certainly would have knowing it was the last bus.

As for the taxi scenario, it says in the link that she'd arranged for her mother to come and meet her and was walking to that rendezvous.

Very awful thing to happen to anyone. There are some terrifying individuals walking the streets and he was so young as well. I wonder what his back story might be to make him into the violent predator he is.

The point is the two things are unconnected, she had access to money and was able to get home whether the bus driver let her on or not.

Neither the journalist or the police connected these two incidents.

We don't know that the passengers even knew she was 20p short.

It's an awful thing, and we have here the usual SF mix of outraged sympathy and outright criticism of the victim, although I'm sure that the driver and passengers on the bus are all wishing now they'd done something different at the time.

If I'd been on the bus, and she'd turned around and explained the problem, I'd have given her the fare, obviously, but perhaps no-one but the driver realised what was going on at the time.

In the day when I was a regular bus traveller, I've given the driver the fare for a random stranger on occasion, more to get the bus moving again than anything else, but I certainly would have knowing it was the last bus.

As for the taxi scenario, it says in the link that she'd arranged for her mother to come and meet her and was walking to that rendezvous.

Very awful thing to happen to anyone. There are some terrifying individuals walking the streets and he was so young as well. I wonder what his back story might be to make him into the violent predator he is.

no one blamed the victim at all.

I would have helped her if I would have been there!

We live in a sick society that rather has a girl raped than being helpful to one another.

no we don't that is utter rubbish. Those were not the options at the time and you don't know they even knew thats why she didn't get on the bus.

We live in a society where people ignore the facts and believe implications from dubious sources:roll:

she was 22 not 12. Its her responsibility to make sure she has enough money to get home. I never go out without keeping more than enough to get home again. I don't see why this has anything to do with the bus driver or other passengers:huh:

I don't understand this idea? She did not have enough money. Should the driver let everyone on 20p short? She had a card for the atm so she could have got a taxi. It was entirely her fault she couldn't get the bus and entirely the rapists fault for raping her.

she was an adult with an atm card, who could have got money out before getting on the bus rather than waiting until it was there. If they had refused because she only had notes, I would agree with you but she didn't give them that option. She wanted a bus full of people to wait for her while she went to a cash machine.

no one (else) blamed the victim at all.
No, I agree, having looked back at the thread, it has been mostly you.

No, I agree, having looked back at the thread, it was mostly you.

You have shown in those quotes that I wasn't blaming her for her rape. It is entirely her fault she could not get the bus. The rape is nothing to do with that.

Imply away though:D

You could at least refrain from editing my posts though. How underhanded is that?

My god!! People on this forum don't half like looking down there neses at others. Everyone on here is perfect aren't they.

"if I left the house, I would make sure I have enough money to get home".............SO WHAT?!? That's not the point.

She could have gone for a taxi after getting some cash but obviously didn't want to.

The point here is that someone got raped!! The fault lies with Joseph Moran, not the woman and her choice to walk home. Oh, and the BBC for mentioning the fact that she was refused on the bus for 20p.

Archived