Franklin Street

ngineer

2 hours ago, 13court2 said:

I remember you Mike, the Kelly's lived at the back of you, I lived in the next yard at 3 court 2 (the 13 in my member name was a typo), we used to knock about together in Trev Simpsons gang. We'd go scrimping, playing kick can and sledging down Lansdowne road though Pearl street was the best sledging road. we would all meet outside the doctors place on Washington road which we called the white patch because of the raised white concrete plinths either side of the steps. there was the Jubbies on the opposite side to us and Robert Newcombe near Trev Simpson. Down Trev's yard were steps leading up to a raised level where Mervin Nichols lived, Derek White lived at the top end near Salmon Street and Ampie (John Hammond) on Lansdowne Road, his dad owned the bakers. I sometimes see your cousin Ray's (Somerfield) son Paul, and Frank Turner who lived across from you. Great times, best years of my life.😊

is this the same ray somerfield that lived on washington road

about 3 doors on from makenzie st

11 hours ago, Michael Smith ( said:

Horace Hull was a good mate of my dads,,James paper shop was the start of the James Cycle chain, My grandmother moved from Franklin Street to the house next door to the Post Office on Washington road

was this the new post office next door to Blenkinsop's corner shop

and the white's family house

On 05/02/2020 at 14:15, MICK BADGER said:

is this the same ray somerfield that lived on washington road

about 3 doors on from makenzie st

Sorry, it should be Ray Sommerville, he lived at the bottom end of Franklin street near his cousin Mike Smith.

Edited by 13court2
Wrong quote

On 05/02/2020 at 11:07, 13court2 said:

I remember you Mike, the Kelly's lived at the back of you, I lived in the next yard at 3 court 2 (the 13 in my member name was a typo), we used to knock about together in Trev Simpsons gang. We'd go scrimping, playing kick can and sledging down Lansdowne road though Pearl street was the best sledging road. we would all meet outside the doctors place on Washington road which we called the white patch because of the raised white concrete plinths either side of the steps. there was the Jubbies on the opposite side to us and Robert Newcombe near Trev Simpson. Down Trev's yard were steps leading up to a raised level where Mervin Nichols lived, Derek White lived at the top end near Salmon Street and Ampie (John Hammond) on Lansdowne Road, his dad owned the bakers. I sometimes see your cousin Ray's (Somerfield) son Paul, and Frank Turner who lived across from you. Great times, best years of my life.😊

Warming our hands on the dome on top of the keep left bollards on the roundabout at the Cemetery Road/Summerfield St junction is a favourite memory of mine. Did anyone here go to the Happy Hour at the Baptist Church on Thursday nights?  Laurel and Hardy films and such? 

At some time cant quiet remember when my grandmother Mrs Howard lived in Trevor Simpsons house before moving to Washington Road, we also used to meet on the pub steps and have running races around the block. I remember Robert Newcombe once told my mother to f##k off because she would not let me out to play. do you still live in the area?

11 hours ago, DavidFrance said:

Warming our hands on the dome on top of the keep left bollards on the roundabout at the Cemetery Road/Summerfield St junction is a favourite memory of mine. Did anyone here go to the Happy Hour at the Baptist Church on Thursday nights?  Laurel and Hardy films and such? 

I well remember the bakers and fetching hot pies for tea.

1 hour ago, Michael Smith ( said:

At some time cant quiet remember when my grandmother Mrs Howard lived in Trevor Simpsons house before moving to Washington Road, we also used to meet on the pub steps and have running races around the block. I remember Robert Newcombe once told my mother to f##k off because she would not let me out to play. do you still live in the area?

I well remember the bakers and fetching hot pies for tea.

We went on the Norfolk Park estate after leaving Franklin St, then onto the Broomall estate, then I flew the nest and went on Lancing road just off Bramall Lane, then to Stalker Lees Road just up from Pomona Street and finally Greystones near High Storrs. Do you remember Maureen Whitham? I used to see her occasionally, she was still living at her family home on South View road last time I saw her.

On 10/11/2015 at 01:02, deeda said:

looking to hear from oscar215,i believe we grew up on the same street.if hes still using the forum I would like to hear from him.Picking through the threads it sounds as though the old school (sharrow lane) is now something other than a school.Idont get back to Sheffield much now but would like to hear from anyone who lived on franklin street or attended Sharrow lane 1952 onwards.

I went to Sharrow Lane in 54, and remember I as a great school, much better than the grammar school I went to after, so many great memories of Franklin Street and the school, we now live in Australia but we get back every now and then

9 hours ago, Michael Smith ( said:

I seem to recognise the name, you seemed to have moved as much as me, I still don't know your name ?  would you remember Jillian Ferey from Sharrow lane School she was the chemists daughter

My name is Brian Walley, I don't recall Jillian Ferey but memories of names keep coming back to me, remember Ashley Richards? he was the only black kid at Sharrow Lane I think and Rainer (can't remember his first name). Graham Mulcrone lived half way up on the same side as us but I don't remember him going to the school.