Franklin Street

ngineer

Hi Thorpy, sorry for the delay, just moved house closer to Sheffield and everything seems to have gone adrift. No I didn't have a sister called Vicky or any Grandparents who might fit your description. I lived on Priory Place just along Wostenholm Road hence going to the Sharrow St Johns Cubs who were the 139th if I remember correctly. Also attended Sharrow Lane School so knew loads of kids on Franklin Street, Club Garden etc.

Not sure where they all went when they pulled down Franklin Street

Hi Gordonb, thanks for replying. The Gordon B. that I knew was a bit younger than me and used to come to visit his Grandad and Grandma, who lived in our yard.( I was wondering if he had any old photos of them). He lived on Ashley Rd.(sp?) which ran parallel to Franklin Street, and like me went to Sharrow Lane Infants & Juniors.

• 1 month later...

Hello,

I just typed up Franklin Street, Sheffield on the Internet as this was the street where I was born. 1951 to be precise. amd 6 Court 6 if that makes sense to anyone. We left for London in 1956 all in the back of a removal van.

Does anyone remember my dad, Len Joynes? He had two brothers, Willie and Harry. Dad used to talk about the Cross Guns and Sharrow Lane school. Dad was captured at Tobruk in 1943 and returned to Sheffield after escaping from a P.O.W. camp in Italy. I will always remember his army mates saying they had a knees up in the Cross Guns that lasted 48 hours!

Anyone out there who recognizes this name or can share memories please get in touch- my mum came from Czechoslovakia.

Best wishes

Len Joynes Jr.

Hi Len - welcome to the Forum! The Cross Guns was on the corner of Sharrow Lane and the long-gone Franklin Street - here's a photo of the Sharrow Lane side. My 1942 directory gives Frank Godley as the licensee. Another photo on the picturesheffield.com site is looking along Franklin Street after the "court" houses were demolished. Here's a photo of some G.L.B. girls outside Sharrow Lane School which evidently closed three years ago. A thread on the Sheffield History forum here mentions Elaine Joynes as a pupil in the 1950s.

Franklin Street was between Club Garden Road and Washington Road on this aerial view: http://www.multimap.com/maps/?qs=sheffield&countryCode=GB#map=53.36799,-1.47976|20|256&be=7727471|East&bd=useful_information&loc=GB:53.36709:-1.4839:17|sharrow The school can be seen on the right, between Vincent Road and South View Road. Here is an old map of the area: http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u219/twigmore/FranklinStreet.jpg

Edited by hillsbro

I Lived on Sharrow lane. Franklin St. was very overcrowded with families, some quite large trying to exist in a 2 up 2 down. Almost every front step had a white line round the edge and the steps were scrubbed clean. Just inside the front door there was a square piece of washable wallpaper, quite often varnished where a kid stood and waited for his mate. There was a lot of community feeling but the Town Hall in their haste to improve the housing turned horizontal slums into vertical ones.

My aunt and uncle lived in a court house on Franklin Street. They didn't want to move when the houses came down (which I guess would have been in the late 1960s) but once they were settled in their maisonette at Roscoe Bank they didn't want to go back - in fact Auntie Joyce is still there, aged 84. It can't have been much fun, sharing an outside loo that froze in winter, not having a blade of grass anywhere, just back-to-back houses clustered around an asphalt yard, but they did miss the neighbourliness and it was handy for the city centre.

Hi Len - welcome to the Forum! The Cross Guns was on the corner of Sharrow Lane and the long-gone Franklin Street - here's a photo of the Sharrow Lane side. My 1942 directory gives Frank Godley as the licensee. Another photo on the picturesheffield.com site is looking along Franklin Street after the "court" houses were demolished. Here's a photo of some G.L.B. girls outside Sharrow Lane School which evidently closed three years ago. A thread on the Sheffield History forum here mentions Elaine Joynes as a pupil in the 1950s.

Franklin Street was between Club Garden Road and Washington Road on this aerial view: http://www.multimap.com/maps/?qs=sheffield&countryCode=GB#map=53.36799,-1.47976|20|256&be=7727471|East&bd=useful_information&loc=GB:53.36709:-1.4839:17|sharrow The school can be seen on the right, between Vincent Road and South View Road. Here is an old map of the area: http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u219/twigmore/FranklinStreet.jpg

Some good work there, hillsboro.:thumbsup:.Any comments from the OP?

Unlike many of the nearby houses, the school escaped demolition and can be seen on the Multimap aerial view (it's marked with a red circle here). I just looked on Google Earth at the "street view" photo, where it has a sign reading "Sharrow Primary School" but it closed in 2007 according to a site I found earlier. I guess it was replaced by this school on nearby Sitwell Road..:)

Edited by hillsbro

Unlike many of the nearby houses, the school escaped demolition and can be seen on the Multimap aerial view (it's marked with a red circle here). I just looked on Google Earth at the "street view" photo, where it has a sign reading "Sharrow Primary School" but it closed in 2007 according to a site I found earlier. I guess it was replaced by this school on nearby Sitwell Road..:)

Thanks for that, on the first map I recognised the arches in the boy's playground that we used as goals. :)

Hi there i was born on washington road in 1953 left round about 1969 when they were demolished. My dad probably knew your dad as his second homes being the franklin and cross guns. But alas he has now gone.Have really fond memories of the day trips with both pubs it was the highlight of the year for us kids back then. The name Joynes rings a bell ,were there others of your family that stayed on in sheffield and lived in that area?