Franklin Street

ngineer

Hi David - I have the 1968 Kelly's Directory (compiled in 1967) and it still shows "Mrs E. Johnson, grocer" at No 77; I imagine this was around the time of the demolition. Other occupants of Franklin Street are not shown in the directory, just the numbers of the "courts" so I imagine they were back-to-back houses. Horace Hull is shown at 41 Sharrow Street.

Hi David - I have the 1968 Kelly's Directory (compiled in 1967) and it still shows "Mrs E. Johnson, grocer" at No 77; I imagine this was around the time of the demolition. Other occupants of Franklin Street are not shown in the directory, just the numbers of the "courts" so I imagine they were back-to-back houses. Horace Hull is shown at 41 Sharrow Street.

that address (41 Sharrow Street) is on the section that backs onto London Road (the odd numbers run on the left with your back to the town.

It's this house with the fallen-down Wales flag in the window:

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=Sharow+Street+Sheffield&sll=53.800651,-4.064941&sspn=19.196147,39.506836&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Sharrow+St,+Sheffield,+United+Kingdom&ll=53.369158,-1.478519&spn=0.009436,0.01929&t=h&z=16&layer=c&cbll=53.36907,-1.478442&panoid=00aUlJ6ykzmUrxTZH2olZw&cbp=12,52.26,,0,4.63

Thanks for your message hillsbro... I'll get back to you later... I was replying to your message .. and everything suddenly got deleted... I could be hitting a wrong key or something.... or is a time limit in force ? on how long we can upload reply messages ? will be back.. cheers DJ.

Hope this could be of interest to some of you posting on this thread.

I was at Sharrow Lane 1951 - 58.

I remember Linda Firth who has been mentioned, a really good looking lass.

Did the Barber mentioned have a son Alan ?

I have a photo of a pantomine cast, Christmas 1954. There are both junior 1's and 2's on there, including Linda Firth. PM me please if you would like a copy.

There were many Franklin St lads at Sharrow Lane, but the only name I can remember was Mervyn Nichols.

Does anyone remember Barry Hall and his sister Linda, they lived on Washington Road near to the traffic lights at the Sharrow Lane junction. Their Mom was my cousin. I would like to contact Barry if possible.

Edited by Runningman
Deletion and insertion to make sense of statement

Hi, I believe Barry and Linda Hall lived at 102 Washington Rd. I also attended Sharrow Lane School 1941- 52 and knew a lot of local lads, I remember Tony Glaves and he had an older brother they lived on Franklin St. I remember the following local lads some of whom may have lived on Franklin St. but certainly in the vicinity- Brian Chapman, John Wade, Roy Robinson and lots of others on neighbouring streets: David Foster, Ronnie Hibberd, Peter Wainwright, Brian Milner, Roy Powell, Michael Green and Michael Glossop.

• 2 weeks later...

Howdy..hillsbro' Thanks for your info'...Funny.. I too have a 1968 Kelly's.and as you point out my Mother, as licensee of the beer off' is listed on Franklin st..no more names are mentioned.only the courts..which is a pity cos' I would be able to recall so many memories./.Henry White builders yard and the Franklin pub also mentioned. There was another small shop along the street too, open shorter hours than us...we knew it as 'Sidebottoms'..or 'Smalls' Then of course Horace Hull..the Barber...thanks again for your input. DJ.

Hope this could be of interest to some of you posting on this thread.

I was at Sharrow Lane 1951 - 58.

I remember Linda Firth who has been mentioned, a really good looking lass.

Did the Barber mentioned have a son Alan ?

I have a photo of a pantomine cast, Christmas 1954. There are both junior 1's and 2's on there, including Linda Firth. PM me please if you would like a copy.

There were many Franklin St lads at Sharrow Lane, but the only name I can remember was Mervyn Nichols.

Does anyone remember Barry Hall and his sister Linda, they lived on Washington Road near to the traffic lights at the Sharrow Lane junction. Their Mom was my cousin. I would like to contact Barry if possible.

Hello..Runningman..DJ.here..yes I remember 'Alan Hull' Horace the barber's Son..he was at School with me...and Linda Firth married 'Peter Mosley' from Franklin St.// I was born in 46 so I would be at Sharrow Lane same time as you ? I would certainly love to see the pantomime cast picture you have,,what's a PM ? private message ??? let me know please and I'll get back to you..thanks for your input..DJ.

• 1 year later...
Hello,

I just typed up Franklin Street, Sheffield on the Internet as this was the street where I was born. 1951 to be precise. amd 6 Court 6 if that makes sense to anyone. We left for London in 1956 all in the back of a removal van.

Does anyone remember my dad, Len Joynes? He had two brothers, Willie and Harry. Dad used to talk about the Cross Guns and Sharrow Lane school. Dad was captured at Tobruk in 1943 and returned to Sheffield after escaping from a P.O.W. camp in Italy. I will always remember his army mates saying they had a knees up in the Cross Guns that lasted 48 hours!

Anyone out there who recognizes this name or can share memories please get in touch- my mum came from Czechoslovakia.

Best wishes

Len Joynes Jr.

Hi Len are you the same len who was my best man

Regards Madeline Franklin

Dear Mad,

Yes, believe it or not it is the one who was best man at your wedding. Only by chance did i get this reply. It came as a result of my lad Alex who is at University checking my email as i am useless on the computer. I've put our email address so perhaps you could confirm yours in order for me to contact you. :)

Sending my best regards

Len Joynes

joyneskingsley@aol.com

• 2 years later...