London Bus Drivers To Strike During Olympics. What lovely folks.

this is an utter disgrace and proves unions are no longer needed in the UK. The London bus drivers are greedy pigs and do not diverse more money just because its going to be busier. Its not like they can carry more passengers.

I only wish the London bus company restart their west Indian recruitment drive from the 60's and replace all these selfish stains with hard working and appreciative employees.

Yes, I too wish my employer could tear up my contract of employment for no reason whatsoever

It will only give the Germans an excuse to laugh. I can hear them saying things like

"Well they didnt do very well in the Olympics but they're still the best when it comes to striking"

Loud bellows of Teutonic mirth over steins of beer and plates of sausages :D

The Germans got 41 medals in the last Olympics, UK got 47 (that means we got more).:P

Also, if you look at medals per head of population, (which is the fairest way of measuring the tally), you will find that UK got considerably more than USA.:D

LLLOOOOOOOOSSSSSSSEEEEEEEERRRRRRRSSSSSSSSSSSS!

this is an utter disgrace and proves unions are no longer needed in the UK. The London bus drivers are greedy pigs and do not diverse more money just because its going to be busier. Its not like they can carry more passengers.

I only wish the London bus company restart their west Indian recruitment drive from the 60's and replace all these selfish stains with hard working and appreciative employees.

You are obviously unaware of the following:

The bus drivers have been told they can take NO holidays during a nine week period of the Olympics.

This was not in their original terms of employment and if it wasn't in their contract they are under no obligation to accept the agreement.

The bus drivers want to be compensated for this.

Sounds fair to me. The bus companies will be making huge profits from the Olympics, so why not compensate the drivers?

Landlords are upping rent and threatining to throw people out of their homes if they don't pay up. Visa have ensured that cash machines at the venues are switched off and machines which will only accept Visa are being installed. There is a lot which is obscene about the olympics, bus drivers asking for a bonus to reflect the extra workload is not part of it.

Also the "Olympic Cafe" which has been in London long before the Olympics was forced to change its name. I think thats pretty petit on the part of whomever made them do it.

Not to mention that TFL Bosses are to get an £80,000 bonus for their part in the Olympics.

It's a pity the right wing press don't mention these two points.

As I understand it the bonus is for the whole year's performance not just the olympic weeks..but I suppose it depends which newspaper you read and believe :)

and now the Boris Bike people are to get a £500 bonus for working during the Olympics. Still no bonus for bus drivers though.

Unite bus workers leaders rejected an offer of around £340 paid for from an £8.3 million fund from the Olympic Delivery Authority (ODA) in a deal brokered by Mayor Boris Johnson.

They say buses will carry an extra 800,000 people during the Games meaning a "massive" increase in work.

Two thirds of London's buses were brought to a halt and the union has warned of more walkouts to come up to and even during the Olympics.

Unite is now demanding £600 for each of more than 20,000 workers saying they will add £100 every time they go on strike to make-up for lost wages.

They probably lose £100 each time they go on strike.

• 2 weeks later...

The rest of the transport system down here is getting bonuses, payments and what-not, so I wholeheartedly support this. Why shouldn't they be compensated for the extra services they're putting on and the restrictions to their employment (as somebody mentioned about the holidays) during the period?

More words of wisdom from Nick Clegg's toilet paper.

Archived