How many rivers in Sheffield?

Originally posted by jgharston

Is that the one behind the Tesco petrol station next to the Rising Sum at Nether Green? I've just walked past that one. I'll have to add it to my list.

I think it must be the same one, judging by the direction and distance. I think it's culverted from Hangingwater Road until it emerges in the park just before it joins the Porter.

• 5 months later...

The revival of this thread stirred my memory a little, - there are three brooks not mentioned on JG's list which flow directly into the Don.

Toad Hole Dyke, which still feeds the old Wardsend Mill dam at Five Arches.

Kirk Bridge Dyke, - flows from Darnall through old Attercliffe village.

Bagley Dyke which starts in Longley and used to join the Don near the confluence with Blackburn Brook, but I think it now drops straight into the sewers at the junction of Upwell street and Brightside lane. In the past there was a dam and wheel on this dyke in Grimesthorpe village.

All are now mostly culverted but a little of Bagley Dyke can be seen in the woods alongside the NGH staff car park.

• 11 months later...

I looked up Sheffield Rivers on Google some months ago, some good reading, some on Wikapedia too.

It's marvellous how we take our surroundings for granted, without the rivers, Sheffield might not have been that great steel making city.