How many rivers in Sheffield?

The rivers are the Don, The Rivlin, The Porter, The Sheaf and The Loxly. All others are estuaries and branches of these rivers. So there are like a million different water currents, but only five actual rivers.

The rivers are the Don, The Rivlin, The Porter, The Sheaf and The Loxly. All others are estuaries and branches of these rivers. So there are like a million different water currents, but only five actual rivers.

They're certainly not estuaries! Do you know what one of those is?

I had a patient ask me this the other week! What a coincidence... She said there are 7 rivers but we could only name 4 between us, so my colleagues did a bit of research. I can't remember the link to the page they found, but the rivers were the Don, the Sheaf, the Loxley, the Rivelin, Porter Brook, Owler Brook and Meersbrook.

Apparently there are also 8 hills, not 7 as is popularly believed. I'll have to see if I can find the page again!

rivelin

Sheaf

Loxley

Don

Porter

can't think of another :huh:

The River Rother runs through Killamarsh, Beighton, Woodhouse Mill (where the flood barrier is) onto Catcliffe (we all know what happens there) and into the Don. Only just in Sheffield.

Is that the one behind the Tesco petrol station next to the Rising Sum at Nether Green? I've just walked past that one. I'll have to add it to my list.

That goes down at the back of gardens of houses on Oakbrook Rd and joins the porter at junction of Oakbrook Rd and Westwood Rd at Bingham park. I assumed from your list this must be the 'oak brook', with the road being named after it? The porter then goes through the park, under Oakbrook Rd then back under at the mini roundabout and into Endcliffe park.

River Don

| +-Blackburn Brook

| +-Charlton Brook

| | +-Hall Wood Dyke

| +-Hartley Brook Dyke

| +-Sheffield Lane Dyke

| +-Tongue Gutter

+-(River Rother)

| +-Shirtcliffe Brook

| +-Shire Brook

| | +-Ochre Dyke

Have I missed any?

Mel Brooks

I remembered another one - the Edge Brook which ran down the side of Lyndhurst road in Brincliffe and through the gardens of Byron road and Glen road in Nether Edge, - parts of it were still visible in the 50s. I think it disappeared underground behind the Broadfield pub on Abbeydale road and fed into the Sheaf via a culvert.

Where is/was the Owler Brook ?