How many rivers in Sheffield?

When I go for a walk in my lunch hour I often reflect on what a shame it is that our rivers are mostly covered up / hidden / neglected.

All great cities have a river running through them.

I wonder if the council has published any plans to open further parts of the Don a little more once castle market is knocked down and the redevelopment of that part of town gets underway?

Specifically castlegate and ladys bridge .

Something a little visionary would be wonderful.

Or will we just get more crappy office buildings such as the ones either side of Blonk st. (more likely).

When I go for a walk in my lunch hour I often reflect on what a shame it is that our rivers are mostly covered up / hidden / neglected.

I wonder if the council has published any plans to open further parts of the Don a little more once castle market is knocked down and the redevelopment of that part of town gets underway?

Specifically castlegate and ladys bridge .

Something a little visionary would be wonderful.

Or will we just get more crappy office buildings such as the ones either side of Blonk st. (more likely).

Re the bit I've emboldened.

The iconic rivers through cities tend to be much bigger rivers in flatter areas - Thames, Tyne, Seine etc. Having said that, I would like to see more opened up in Sheffield, and made into more of an amenity, but even then the Sheffield rivers are still fairly small, and will never provide a meandering backdrop to the city - too many weirs.

I would also like to see the rivers as a key part of any developments in the Castlegate and Ladys Bridge area, and ultimately back out along the nursery street / penistone road corridor to link up with rivelin and back out along the Don.

Re the bit I've emboldened.

The iconic rivers through cities tend to be much bigger rivers in flatter areas - Thames, Tyne, Seine etc. Having said that, I would like to see more opened up in Sheffield, and made into more of an amenity, but even then the Sheffield rivers are still fairly small, and will never provide a meandering backdrop to the city - too many weirs.

I would also like to see the rivers as a key part of any developments in the Castlegate and Ladys Bridge area, and ultimately back out along the nursery street / penistone road corridor to link up with rivelin and back out along the Don.

Have a look at the online plans for Castlegate area. It certainly covers

improvement of the River Don, along with green areas

see link below

http://www.sheffield.gov.uk/whats-new/2014-news/july/castlegate.html

Edited by bazjea

Now there's a pub quiz question in the making.

Barcelona, Athens, Johannesburg, Los Angeles, Jerusalem, Lisbon, Istanbul, Mumbai, San Francisco, Auckland, Mexico City, Oslo and even Venice all don't have a river running through them. Some are on the coast. Some have canals or straits. Some are at the edge of a river. But they're all great cities.

• 1 year later...
River Don

+-Little Don

| +-Knoll Brook

| +-Hagg Brook

| | +-Shaw Syke

| | +-Shaw Brook

| | +-Shaw Clough

| +-Knickerwoods Brook

+-Ewden Beck

| +-Bull Clough

| +-Upperwood Dyke

| +-Spout Brow

+-Birkin Royd

| +-Sough Dyke

+-Stockarth Brook

+-Loxley

| +-Rivelin

| | +-Black Brook

| | +-Wyming Brook

| +-Storrs Brook

| +-Strines Dyke

| +-Agden Dyke

| +-Hobson Moss Dyke

+-Whitely Brook (buried)

+-Mahon Brook(?) (buried)

+-River Sheaf

| +-Porter Brook

| | +-Oak Brook

| | +-Mayfield Brook

| +-Jervis Lum

| +-Meers Brook

| | +-Carfield Brook(?)

| +-Abbey Brook

| +-Limb Brook

| | +-Ranwood Brook

| +-Totley Brook

| | +-Rodmoor Brook

| +-Oldhay Brook

| +-Redcar Brook

| +-Blacka Dyke

+-Owler Brook

| +-Horninglow Brook

+-Carr Brook

+-Blackburn Brook

| +-Charlton Brook

| | +-Hall Wood Dyke

| +-Hartley Brook Dyke

| +-Sheffield Lane Dyke

| +-Tongue Gutter

+-(River Rother)

| +-Shirtcliffe Brook

| +-Shire Brook

| | +-Ochre Dyke

| +-Short Brook

River Don

Have I missed any?

Kell Brook

As a relative newcomer to Sheffield what part of the Don will be "opened"/uncovered (unculverted?) as part of the Castle Market demolition/redevelopment plans?

PS I do appreciate that part of the Sheaf will be opened out as part of the redevelopment.

Edited by Martin C

Now there's a pub quiz question in the making.

Barcelona, Athens, Johannesburg, Los Angeles, Jerusalem, Lisbon, Istanbul, Mumbai, San Francisco, Auckland, Mexico City, Oslo and even Venice all don't have a river running through them. Some are on the coast. Some have canals or straits. Some are at the edge of a river. But they're all great cities.

Almost all classic cities are built either on a river or directly on the coast and often formed where rivers met.

Barcelona: built on the confluence of the Besos and El Llobregat

Athens: correct, although very close to the coast

Johannesburg: Built between several rivers, Kliprivier/Natalspruit and so on.

Los Angeles: is named after the river it was originally built on, the Los Angeles. Also Santa Ana and San Gabriel rivers and of course on the coast.

Jerusalem: formed as a religious site and is a rare exception. Although they did recently find a huge underground river :)

Lisbon: On the coast and one of Portugals most famous rivers: The Tagus!

Istanbul: Bosporus, Istanbul literally formed as the place where you crossed it.

Mumbai: Built on a Peninsula with a river running right through the middle and to the North (can't find name, sorry)

San Francisco: Built around San Francisco Bay, famous harbour city

Auckland: Built on a slip of land with ocean on both sides

Mexico City: formed after communities on several local lakes expanded

Oslo: Built on the Akerselva and of course the Fjord it streams into

Venice: Always had a struggle for fresh water as it is built on salt marshes, but they developed a system of wells as early as the Roman times and it is of course a famous harbour city as well.

As a relative newcomer to Sheffield what part of the Don will be "opened"/uncovered (unculverted?) as part of the Castle Market demolition/redevelopment plans?

PS I do appreciate that part of the Sheaf will be opened out as part of the redevelopment.

None of the Don. It is already completely open. Just potentially the last culverted bit of the Sheaf before it hits the Don at Lady's Bridge, presumably preserving the road culvert as a bridge.

Couldn't find the culvert map of Sheffield on the google images, so I've uploaded a copy to Photobucket, at http://tinyurl.com/o2arbgv