Working part time and benefits?

I have just been using this benefit calculation tool

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/family/benefits-check

And no matter what part time hours i do, I'm only £5 a week financially better off working part time (far worse off financially if you include travel costs, my prescriptions charge)

Also I've been told that if you work less than 16 hours each week then you still have to go onto the work programme, is that correct?

How do you edit the tilte?

I can edit the title for you if you tell me what changes you want to make :).

As for working, I was told that it would be totally pointless working part time (less than 16 hours) as I would always be worse of money wise.

I was also told, by the Jobcenter, that if I did take a part time position I would still have to attend to sign on and would still be put forward for courses etc as they want you in full time work supporting yourself.

If you make an appointment with the Jobcenter they will calculate it all for you and give you all the information you need as to whether you would still need to attend work programmes etc.

Is there any reason why you can't work full time?

I can edit the title for you if you tell me what changes you want to make :).

As for working, I was told that it would be totally pointless working part time (less than 16 hours) as I would always be worse of money wise.

I was also told, by the Jobcenter, that if I did take a part time position I would still have to attend to sign on and would still be put forward for courses etc as they want you in full time work supporting yourself.

If you make an appointment with the Jobcenter they will calculate it all for you and give you all the information you need as to whether you would still need to attend work programmes etc.

Is there any reason why you can't work full time?

None, but I could potentially get a part time job very quickly.

Could you just simply change the title to: Working part time and benefits?

You could deduce she is single from the 'fiver better off'.

That is the income disregard for a single person, and it has been since before I was born! It has never increased in line with inflation, of which there has been considerable amounts of!

Crack is love, you earn £5 you keep it.

You earn anything past £5, you lose your JSA at a rate of 100%.

Earn £1, lose £1.

When you no longer get JSA, you begin to lose housing benefit and council tax benefit.

For each £1 you earn you lose 20p of you council tax benefit and 65p of your housing benefit.

I.e. earn £1, lose 85p.

But your soon paying tax and NI, you'll will start to lose 96p per £1 earned now.

And when you break free of benefits you only lose 32p in the £1.

So, @min wage.

Work 1 hour, £5 better off.

Work 10 hours £5 better off.

Few more - Still only £5 better off.

HB/CTB band, you'll be 24p-90p better off per hour worked.

After you break free of benefits, you'll be £4 better off per hour worked.

This does not include travel costs, which in South Yorkshire are about £6 a day for so called 'public transport', which incidentally has risen considerably in price since the 1980s.

What we need to know, is are you over 25 luv?

It might be weth working it you can claim working tax credit.

How long have you been unemployed? It might be weth working if you claim NEA instead.

Can't you find any cash in hand work? Spend the money on cheap supermarket vodka and its equivalent to paying 80% tax, so your essentially saving government the trouble of collecting your tax via the PAYE system, and paying nearly double the rate of tax of our highest earners.

I'm single and have no chidren.

If thats the case you need to be working a min of 31 hours to qualify for working tax credits, but be warned your earnings need to be pittifully low to qualify.

For example if you declared you earned £80 a week, you would get something like £52 a week. The more you earn, the less tax credits you earn.

If thats the case you need to be working a min of 31 hours to qualify for working tax credits, but be warned your earnings need to be pittifully low to qualify.

For example if you declared you earned £80 a week, you would get something like £52 a week. The more you earn, the less tax credits you earn.

And you have to be over 25.

Bu if you do get £1 of working tax credit you get the exemption card, and passported benefits - optical care, dental care, free prescriptions...

Archived