Working part time and benefits?

It's ludicrous that single childless people get penalised like you yet chavs who churn out kid after kid - usually with different fathers - get rewarded with thousands of pounds in free benefits. With our country as overpopulated as it is the system needs to change so that its' those who don't have kids who get rewarded.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk is probably your Homepage right? :rolleyes:

This whole issue is one of my bug bears. It's ludicrous and needs ammending.

An awful lot of jobs on offer these days are part time and short term. These are all 'the vacancies' that you hear about on the goggle box news. The system, as it is, can't cope with either.

Most part time work is poorly paid to begin with and incurs expenses, eg cost of travel to and from work etc. Yet many people find themselves no better, or even worse off when they do it.

As for short term contracts, I suggest people try signing off and back on again a few weeks later and see how long it takes to reinstate a simple claim. I guarentee you'll be living on fresh air or getting into debt for weeks.

This whole issue is one of my bug bears. It's ludicrous and needs ammending.

An awful lot of jobs on offer these days are part time and short term. These are all 'the vacancies' that you hear about on the goggle box news. The system, as it is, can't cope with either.

Most part time work is poorly paid to begin with and incurs expenses, eg cost of travel to and from work etc. Yet many people find themselves no better, or even worse off when they do it.

As for short term contracts, I suggest people try signing off and back on again a few weeks later and see how long it takes to reinstate a simple claim. I guarentee you'll be living on fresh air or getting into debt for weeks.

People just love to judge and look down on others, the witch hunt against the unemployed at the moment is at an all time high, convicted peado's have more public sympathy than jobseekers!

Everything to do with the benefits system baffles me, the best idea I heard was by a UKIP presenter on Talk Sport radio, he said to scrap current system and replace it with a Citizens Income.

Citizens Income is where everyone born here 18+ gets a basic amount of money from the government, say £200 per week for example which is enough to pay for basic rent, council tax and buy groceries. Those with kids get an extra £30 quid a week.

He said its financially possible to do if you divide the total expenditure on benefits inc admin, the buildings, maintanence then divide it by total number of UK citizens 18+

This way you elimainate all the bureaucracy, stigma attached to benefit claiming and have a fair straight forward system for everyone.

People just love to judge and look down on others, the witch hunt against the unemployed at the moment is at an all time high, convicted peado's have more public sympathy than jobseekers!

Everything to do with the benefits system baffles me, the best idea I heard was by a UKIP presenter on Talk Sport radio, he said to scrap current system and replace it with a Citizens Income.

Citizens Income is where everyone born here 18+ gets a basic amount of money from the government, say £200 per week for example which is enough to pay for basic rent, council tax and buy groceries. Those with kids get an extra £30 quid a week.

He said its financially possible to do if you divide the total expenditure on benefits inc admin, the buildings, maintanence then divide it by total number of UK citizens 18+

This way you elimainate all the bureaucracy, stigma attached to benefit claiming and have a fair straight forward system for everyone.

If you adjust the 1931 unemployment benefit AFTER it was cut from 18s to 15s3d and adjust for inflation, then that would be equivalent to over £200 a week today!

Citizens income is the way forwards, funded by land value tax.

http://www.citizensincome.org/

Very interesting website. It is worth noting Iran is the first country in the world to introduce a defacto citizens income (but for all intents and purposes we already have one in the UK - but it is a crazy one that depends upon age/location etc. and can't be considered a TRUE CI. It is also combined with high Effective marginal tax rates and has destroyed man's incentive to work. So it isn't a proper CI, in the UK)

At the minute we give people £56.25-£71.50 a week, the council pays itself £15, and then pays a landlord up to £400 a week for a poxy shoebox room/house. The UK is land monopoly on crack.

Back on topic (and to escape Chem1st's Housing rants), I've been told by the Job Centre, that if I get a part time job, based on 16 hours a week, I can come away £68.70 better off without affecting my benefits, originally they told me I'd be £80 a week better off, this was last year, the £68 calculation was done last month.

I've worked it out as an hourly rate of about £4.34 an hour, about 2 and half quid an hour less than minimum wage iirc.

Back on topic (and to escape Chem1st's Housing rants), I've been told by the Job Centre, that if I get a part time job, based on 16 hours a week, I can come away £68.70 better off without affecting my benefits, originally they told me I'd be £80 a week better off, this was last year, the £68 calculation was done last month.

I've worked it out as an hourly rate of about £4.34 an hour, about 2 and half quid an hour less than minimum wage iirc.

What do you claim?

Income support? (You get your DLA regardless)

Would you be eligible for working tax credit? I presume that is how you can be better off for working.

But it is still extra money in your pocket to do what you want with on top of what you already receive. It may not appear to be a lot of money but you can gain valuable work experience, potentially earn a reference from your employer and at 16 hours per week it won't eat too much into your precious time.

But it is still extra money in your pocket to do what you want with on top of what you already receive. It may not appear to be a lot of money but you can gain valuable work experience, earn a potential reference from your employer and at 16 hours per week it won't eat too much into your precious time.

I think Rich is well up for getting a job. He knows he will be better off, and better off than most are, albeit it only marginally it's enough to buy a couple of beers per hour worked.

From what I've seen Rich post on the forum, he has been working voluntary, and is keen to get a paid job. Best of luck to him.

Good luck Rich! And best of all, you will be better off if you get a job!, which is good for you (and for others - the extra money you'd have to spend would improve the local economy and increase the chances of others finding paid work).

I think Rich is well up for getting a job. He knows he will be better off, and better off than most are, albeit it only marginally it's enough to buy a couple of beers per hour worked.

From what I've seen Rich post on the forum, he has been working voluntary, and is keen to get a paid job. Best of luck to him.

Good luck Rich! And best of all, you will be better off if you get a job!, which is good for you (and for others - the extra money you'd have to spend would improve the local economy and increase the chances of others finding paid work).

Indeed! I'm sure Rich is really up for getting a job and I think most people on here wish him the best of luck. This is not an attack on Rich but I think he really needs to realise that most folk are trying to offer advice and not having a go at him.

I do not read the Daily Mail...

Archived