Working part time and benefits?

Indeed! I'm sure Rich is really up for getting a job and I think most people on here wish him the best of luck. This is not an attack on Rich but I think he really needs to realise that most folk are trying to offer advice and not having a go at him.

I do not read the Daily Mail...

Fair do's. I must have read your post a bit funny myself!

If Rich wasn't better off for working I would advise him against it, unless it was voluntary work for a cause he was passionate about.

If somebody on the dole is no better off working, they should stay on the dole, and let somebody on the dole whom is better off working take the job.

The problem we have is the system. People shouldn't be worse off for working in the first place. I say that as both a taxpayer and a doley, having experienced life from both sides (but I did continue to spend lots of money on regressive taxes when on the dole).

Back on topic (and to escape Chem1st's Housing rants), I've been told by the Job Centre, that if I get a part time job, based on 16 hours a week, I can come away £68.70 better off without affecting my benefits, originally they told me I'd be £80 a week better off, this was last year, the £68 calculation was done last month.

I've worked it out as an hourly rate of about £4.34 an hour, about 2 and half quid an hour less than minimum wage iirc.

Are you sure thats correct? How are you better off? How come it doesn't affect your JSA?

Are you sure thats correct? How are you better off? How come it doesn't affect your JSA?

I'm not on JSA, I'm on disability benefits.

I have been on JSA, I was on it for just over a year about 14 years ago, till I told the Job Centre they could kiss my arse and I wasn't taking any more of their crappy courses etc.

I'm not on JSA, I'm on disability benefits.

I have been on JSA, I was on it for just over a year about 14 years ago, till I told the Job Centre they could kiss my arse and I wasn't taking any more of their crappy courses etc.

How did you go on with the job interview you attended down Killamarsh Rich?

How did you go on with the job interview you attended down Killamarsh Rich?

That hasn't happened yet, and probably won't, as I was honest enough to declare that I had a disability, so they never even acknowledged my application! :rant:

That hasn't happened yet, and probably won't, as I was honest enough to declare that I had a disability, so they never even acknowledged my application! :rant:

I thought if someone has a disability,a company has to give them an interview??

Sure i have seen it on app forms when i have applied for jobs.

Yeah places like the Council have a guaranteed interview for disabled, and last month I saw a job in the Star working for South Yorkshire Fire and Rescue (don't worry, it wasn't to be a Fireman lol) who also apparently operate the guaranteed interview provided you meet the criteria, there was one thing on the list I didn't meet, and that was experience in Human Resources :(

Of course they don't, it all depends on type of job they are applying for and the nature of their disability although we shouldn't really using that term as it's also negative in connotation. Of course everybody should have same opportunity but there also has to be some semblance of being realistic

Of course they don't, it all depends on type of job they are applying for and the nature of their disability although we shouldn't really using that term as it's also negative in connotation. Of course everybody should have same opportunity but there also has to be some semblance of being realistic

Denlin............

I didn't fall out of the daft tree you know......

I did write 'a company,' not all companies..

Archived