The rich are getting richer

So back to the topic , HOW ARE THE RICH GETTING RICHER ?

Whilst I don't think I am RICH (although that is comparative description I guess), I have become RICHER each and every year for the last 25 years simply by not spending all of my income. In that time I have even downsized my income considerably. I guess the same explanation would apply to people who I would consider RICH as well, in fact they have a better chance of being RICHER this time next year than somebody who is POOR.

Because they are relative terms...

A person is poor, only in relation to another person who has more money. The same person is rich, in relation to another person who has less money.

So if a fat person stands next to a really fat person, he is no longer fat?

A rich person would no longer be rich when he compares himself to someone with more?

So if a fat person stands next to a really fat person, he is no longer fat?

Firstly, I never mentioned anything about fat or thin, you introduced that particular topic, but okay, let's roll with it...

In this case, he would be thinner than the fat person; but you could say, still fat, relative to the average human norm.

A rich person would no longer be rich when he compares himself to someone with more?

If you took a poor person from a wealthy country, and put them in a very poor country; you could consider him rich. For example, someone on JSA benefit, in the UK (you may consider to be poor), move them over to Somalia, still on £60 a week; they would be considered rich.

It's relative.

In this case, he would be thinner than the fat person; but you could say, still fat, relative to the average human norm.

So we do have a norm to measure something relative against. That was the end I wanted. :)

While some things may be relative, we still have a way of measuring them.

For example, someone on JSA benefit, in the UK (you may consider to be poor)

Do you consider them to be poor, relatively speaking?

So we do have a norm to measure something relative against. That was the end I wanted. :)

They couldn't be relative unless they could be measured !

I'm not convinced Chris, I would still maintain that all things are quantified and measured only in relation to other things.

Even if it's just against the average or norm, for a given context.

For example; in the case of the JSA chap we moved from the UK to Somalia, on £60 a week, he is perhaps transformed from poor to rich, and maybe even thin to fat? As we contrast him against the context we find him in.

I think we do this ourselves too, we consider ourselves, rich, poor, healthy, good-looking, whatever; as we contrast ourselves against the people we see around us.

Archived