Disgusting absolutely disgusting

They asked her to unveil the memorial, she doesn't have a ticket and isn't going as a guest. Are you suggesting that the entire event be cancelled because this veteran doesn't have a ticket?

I'm simply saying that the old soldier merits being there, more-so than the lady who calls herself 'Queen'.

He certainly merits being there, but I'd suggest that your anti-monarchist leanings (I assume from your repetition of the phrase "calls herself Queen") are blinding you to the fact that she didn't believe she had any right to be there, but was in fact doing as requested by the people who built the thing.

If you have an issue with who they asked to unveil it then take it up with them.

Whatever ppl say on here will upset one person or the other either way he still deserves to be there, such events should consider things like this in the first place and no I my comment wasn't aimed at the charity workers after all it's ppl like this that get this sort of thing noticed in the first place so get off your soap box

Perhaps Bomber Command were somewhat incompetent, in that they neglected to invite him?

Anyhow, whatever the case may be; the lady who refers to herself as 'Queen' should perhaps consider what she has done that merits her presence, and contrast that with what this old soldier has done.

You must be aware that the veterans fought for King & country, and swore allegiance to him and his heirs. HM is the figurehead to which these veterans were prepared to fight and lay down their lives for, so to be blunt she HAS to be there to show respect to the fallen and also to make the day a particularly special one for the survivors and their families who are able to attend.

He certainly merits being there, but I'd suggest that your anti-monarchist leanings (I assume from your repetition of the phrase "calls herself Queen") are blinding you to the fact that she didn't believe she had any right to be there, but was in fact doing as requested by the people who built the thing.

If you have an issue with who they asked to unveil it then take it up with them.

The nice old lady who calls herself (okay, other people also call her) 'Queen' is of no relative consequence.

I think for me, the main issue; is that they are not moving heaven and earth to make it possible for veterans like this old soldier to attend. They really should do something to extend the ceremony in some way to accommodate more people.

Have surprised myself today, getting quite emotive about this; probably should blame the DM, for such a provocative representation of the story.

He could go a couple of days later.

jb

I guess he could.

Wonders how many tickets he needed to fly his 90 odd missions, wonder how many times he asked.."can I go a couple of days later". Wonders how many pen pushers get a ticket just to cosy up to lizzy/

Time for the Queen to step in and say "This man WILL attend the ceremony and be treated as a guest of honour"

Without wanting to take away any of this man's acheivements, why should he be any more of a guest of honour than any of the other potentially 6,500 veterans who are also attending the ceremony?

Without wanting to take away any of this man's acheivements, why should he be any more of a guest of honour than any of the other potentially 6,500 veterans who are also attending the ceremony?

He shouldn't. They should all equally be treated as guests of honour.

Does anyone keep track of which veterans survived the war to even invite them? There were ~66,000 bomber crew who survived so not an easy task.

The linked article states:

Which of these people do you think do not deserve to go?

jb

The article says hes a member of the RAF association, and he's clearly a big deal (for want of a better phrase) if an article has been made, plus I know there will be thousands of other veterans that won't be able to go, but I think they could have at least tried to trace some of the heroes for the event, instead of saying ''apply for it'' although why he didn't apply I'm unsure he was part of the whole ordeal.

Personally, I refuse to believe all 6500 guests will be veterans. Whether anyone else does is a different matter.

Archived