Fifty Shades of Grey - Don't see what all the fuss is about myself

Nope. I am actually irritated most of the time when reading due to the author's crap writing. But... I've got this far, had I not bought all 3, I would have been tempted just to google what happened in the other two.

For anyone saying it's filth, seriously, it's not even that bad! Repetitive.

I agree and epiphany made an interesting point, if the sex in the novel(s) were seriously filthy and 'deviant', they would not be mainstream.

It is essentially a love story with some whips and a silly sex contract. Even the author said that she wrote it as romace fiction first and foremost. Woman falls for billionaire philanthropist (that gives a clue that really he is a nice man but damaged:suspect:) psycho stalker man with an inability to love, she brings out the best in him, exorcises his inner demons and teaches him to love. Unlike Twilight, she does not have to join his BDSM world to be a part of his life. A bit like Beauty and the beast.

How to make money of spreading a rumour that something is good.

I don't know anyone who has read it and thinks that it is good, people are buying it not because they think that it is quality, but because it is somewhat erroneously being sold as erotica.

http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/340987215?auto_login_attempted=true

This is another good review that echoes my sentiments. I do think that the book's premise 'I can change him' (him being an a controlling, possessive emotionally arrested freak) is a very dangerous one. As the reviewer states, this does not work in real life as many women who have been/are in abusive relationships have discovered to their cost.

http://http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/340987215?auto_login_attempted=true

This is another good review that echoes my sentiments. I do think that the book's premise 'I can change him' (him being an a controlling, possessive emotionally arrested freak) is a very dangerous one. As the reviewer states, this does not work in real life as many women who have been/are in abusive relationships have discovered to their cost.

:D:hihi::hihi:quality review!

I am sooooo relieved that the first page warned me off spending money on it!

I am a bit disturbed that my in laws have all read it and got turned on by it so the partners tried to convince the hubby to buy it for me:gag:nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo! Luckily he mentioned that to me so I could totally and utterly refute the idea with accompanying warnings that if he got it for me I would hit him with it:rant:

ps how has this thread not been moved to entertainment yet? Are the mods away?

Kind of interesting how this book is perceived by people.

The ones who are against it seem to fall into three camps.

Firstly there are the ones who just think its a badly written book. Which is fair enough. Everyones got an opinion.

Then there are people who are disappointed its not filthier. Which again could be seen as either a failure on the part of the author or that the reader needs something more than "erotica"!

Then theres a smaller third camp which seems to be the anti-characters camp and just doesn't like one or the other of the main people in the book for whatever reason.

I can't help feeling though that this overwhelming dislike is because its popular. If it had sold 9 copies people wouldn't care nearly as much. It seems people are going really overboard to dislike a fairly innocuous book

Kind of interesting how this book is perceived by people.

The ones who are against it seem to fall into three camps.

Firstly there are the ones who just think its a badly written book. Which is fair enough. Everyones got an opinion.

Then there are people who are disappointed its not filthier. Which again could be seen as either a failure on the part of the author or that the reader needs something more than "erotica"!

Then theres a smaller third camp which seems to be the anti-characters camp and just doesn't like one or the other of the main people in the book for whatever reason.

I can't help feeling though that this overwhelming dislike is because its popular. If it had sold 9 copies people wouldn't care nearly as much. It seems people are going really overboard to dislike a fairly innocuous book

I think you haven't read any of it! Read page one of book one, that is all I have read and I can't believe someone paid to get it printed:hihi: That said it was obviously a savvy business idea, I would have laughed her out of my office!

...and then sacked my PA for letting her in, in the first place!

from the reviews it doesn't sound innocuous. It sounds like it is managing both dullness and offensiveness at the same time-which is an impressive feat!

I also doubt there is anyone that dislikes it because it is not filthy enough. I would assume that they think not only is it not that filthy but it is badly written, otherwise they would just enjoy the story.

Archived