Fifty Shades of Grey - Don't see what all the fuss is about myself

Fizzog is a very old corruption of the French word "Visage" - face.

I thought it came from Physiognomy. Visage comes from the Latin Videre (to see), also used by Burroughs in Nadsat in his word Viddy, meaning to see.

"Viddy well, my little Brothers" etc,

If it is spicing up couples' sex lives and serving as a sex manual, then good for them. Personally, I find Newsnight more erotic.
Bah, another female who pants and wets her knickers at the sight of 'Jeremy' :hihi:

My husband was conceived as a result of The Perfumed Garden, for which I am eternally grateful.

You might not have been so grateful if he hailed from Blackburn Meadows ;)

Oh, the joys of marketing, I remember a smiliar phenomenon after Bridget Jones was first published. I have no issue with people wanting to read erotic literature, to the exclusion of all else if that's their bag, but any book using FSoG to promote it would put me off! I wonder if these other books are leaping off the shelves or whether those who have read FSoG, many of whom think that the book is total tripe, are buying them in the hope that they are infinitely better written and more erotic?
Probably. It happens that way with most things. People use stuff that isn't very good as a gateway to find stuff that is better and why not?

Lets say - for the sake of argument - that most people who have read it have done so just to get on the bandwagon. But most of the people actually enjoyed the experience of reading erotic fiction more than they thought they would, so much so they want to read more. Even if as little as 10% of the people who read FSOG are now going out and buying nothing but more erotic novels when they've never read anything else before then that has to be a good thing doesn't it?

Probably. It happens that way with most things. People use stuff that isn't very good as a gateway to find stuff that is better and why not?

Lets say - for the sake of argument - that most people who have read it have done so just to get on the bandwagon. But most of the people actually enjoyed the experience of reading erotic fiction more than they thought they would, so much so they want to read more. Even if as little as 10% of the people who read FSOG are now going out and buying nothing but more erotic novels when they've never read anything else before then that has to be a good thing doesn't it?

Anything that gets people engaging more with books is a good thing, I agree. As I have said before I think that in the case of this book, the term 'erotica' is a bit of a misnomer, it is a love story with a bit of BDSM. Even the author herself said that she considers it to be romance fiction.

Interestingly, a friend of mine yesterday said that she'd seen loads of people reading it (she hasn't and has no intention to do so), she went onto observe that most of them looked like they'd never read a book in their life!

• 3 weeks later...
I've heard this book is terribly written and not a particularly good story. Thoughts? Are people simply reading it for the kinkyness?!?!

Why not have a read back through the thread, where people have already given their thoughts?

(Hint: Most aren't impressed)

Archived