Fifty Shades of Grey - Don't see what all the fuss is about myself

In essence, it's a reworking of all those classics that have gone before it, with the sex. I am thinking about Rebecca and such books, the age old experienced, tortured brooding man with a dark secret has gauche and naive woman fall madly in love with him and the rest of the story is about her agonising about whether her lover/husband loves her as he behaves like a brute and infantilises his newly acquired ingenue. I love Rebecca, it's one of my favourite books of all times.

I adore Rebecca too. The huge difference is that du Maurier knows how to pen a good novel ;)

Stories with that particular relationship dynamic obviously have a universal and lasting appeal.

I adore Rebecca too. The huge difference is that du Maurier knows how to pen a good novel ;)

Stories with that particular relationship dynamic obviously have a universal and lasting appeal.

That's true on both counts. The virginal aspect of this asexual creature whose first sexual frisson, or even thought, until she clapped eyes on the 'hero' irritated me beyond belief in Fifty Shades, it's a very traditional (and implausible) love story in the 21st century.

I love Du Maurier and the way she builds up the suspense in Rebecca is superb. Have you read Sally Beauman's Rebecca's Tale? That's also brilliant. Both sequel and prequel.

That's true on both counts. The virginal aspect of this asexual creature whose first sexual frisson, or even thought, until she clapped eyes on the 'hero' irritated me beyond belief in Fifty Shades, it's a very traditional (and implausible) love story in the 21st century.

I love Du Maurier and the way she builds up the suspense in Rebecca is superb. Have you read Sally Beauman's Rebecca's Tale? That's also brilliant. Both sequel and prequel.

I haven't read Rebecca's Tale yet. I was a little dubious about it at first, it being written so long after the original and by a different author. I did, however, end up buying it some months ago so I'm eventually going to get round to starting it; glad to know it's a good read. It does look interesting because Rebecca herself, despite not appearing phsyically in du Maurier's novel, was the most intriguing character of them all.

(my views on Rebecca here)

if you are on twitter, try following "50 sheds of grey" Entertaining Shed related erotica

'She knelt before me on the shed floor & tugged gently then harder until finally it came. I moaned with pleasure. Now for the other boot ..............

She told me it turned her on to have her movements restricted when she made love. I looked around - I'd have to get a smaller shed..........

I haven't read Rebecca's Tale yet. I was a little dubious about it at first, it being written so long after the original and by a different author. I did, however, end up buying it some months ago so I'm eventually going to get round to starting it; glad to know it's a good read. It does look interesting because Rebecca herself, despite not appearing phsyically in du Maurier's novel, was the most intriguing character of them all.

(my views on Rebecca here)

I agree with you, Rebecca is the most intriguing, complex and interesting character and I sympathise with her more than any of the others which I am sure was not the author's intention. It is a brilliant gothic novel, inspired by Jane Eyre but infinitely better, in my view. Rebecca, the omnipresent, a much maligned woman, vilified as she was overtly sexual, the female equivalent of a cad and rather befitting that she end up with a cancer now known to be caused by a sexually transmitted virus. However, I still hate that de Winter gets away with murder. Have you seem the film? Hitchcock altered the way in way in which she was killed, more manslaughter than murder, a step too far even for the 1930 audience or perhaps it made Maxim more sympathetic? A woman who transgresses always meets the same though. I read somewhere that two endings were filmed one more faithful to the novel. What truly sickens me is how the second Mrs de Winter is just overjoyed that he never loved Rebecca and latches onto that and dismisses the fact that he killed her!

I agree with you, Rebecca is the most intriguing, complex and interesting character and I sympathise with her more than any of the others which I am sure was not the author's intention. It is a brilliant gothic novel, inspired by Jane Eyre but infinitely better, in my view. Rebecca, the omnipresent, a much maligned woman, vilified as she was overtly sexual, the female equivalent of a cad and rather befitting that she end up with a cancer now known to be caused by a sexually transmitted virus. However, I still hate that de Winter gets away with murder. Have you seem the film? Hitchcock altered the way in way in which she was killed, more manslaughter than murder, a step too far even for the 1930 audience or perhaps it made Maxim more sympathetic? A woman who transgresses always meets the same though. I read somewhere that two endings were filmed one more faithful to the novel. What truly sickens me is how the second Mrs de Winter is just overjoyed that he never loved Rebecca and latches onto that and dismisses the fact that he killed her!

I have seen the film, although it was a long time ago (long before I read the book) and I cannot recall the ending that was used at all, so perhaps I never saw it all the way through. However because I'd seen the film (or at least some of it) the characters, when reading the book, appeared in my head as they did in the film. Interestingly though I couldn't recall the second Mrs de Winter's face, which is probably rather befitting of her character.

I'm really not surprised she stands by Maxim at all after learning of the murder - to her it proves just how much he loathed Rebecca. He also tells her he loves her after his confession. Jackpot! Mrs de W #2 wins, Rebecca loses. In her head she's his saviour, he loves her, he needs her, she's better than Rebecca, she's better than Rebecca, she's better than-....

She gets her silly naive fantasy.

50 SHADES OF CHAV' Chapter 1.....

50 shades of Chav."As he approached with those pasty white arms hanging out of his Gola vest, his smile told me it was benefit day and I knew my velour tracksuit would be hanging off the lamp shade tonight." "It was Dwayne's birthday. I was preparing his special tea of Findus Crispy Pancakes and Pot Noodle. I would let him take me any way he wanted tonight.

His favourite position was what he called The Dogs of War. Where he took me from behind and played Call of Duty at the same time." "Our 6 week anniversary was approaching. This would be my longest relationship without becoming pregnant. I thought of this as he lay on top of me making love. His skinny arms straddled my head like breadsticks either side of an orange.

Archived