The dam at Western bank

spag

Are you getting mixed up with the dam in Crookes Valley Park? Your description sounds identical. Or did they move the boat down to crookes valley when the other one was filled in?

Hello Rapido,

Yes your right I've made a mistake its Crookes Valley I was thinking of - the dam the op is talking about its near the tennis courts isn't it just down the path from the museum ?

Thank you gmarshman for remembering the name of the dam at Western bank. My dad used to take me to the park and to look at the dam when I was little, a long time ago. My husband seems to think that Sebastien Coe grew up on Marlborough Rd, they were both into athletics but in different clubs in Sheffield.

I didn't realise that there was a Pankhurst sister who also lived there, must have a look next time I'm over there. Thanks.

I can confirm that Seb grew up on Marlborough Road, I had a bedsit at number 60 for the princely sum of £4 pw in 1974/5 and we used to see him regularly both nearby or in The Broomhill Tavern.

Hello Rapido,

Yes your right I've made a mistake its Crookes Valley I was thinking of - the dam the op is talking about its near the tennis courts isn't it just down the path from the museum ?

Its up towards broomhill,just across northumberland rd. the site is across from weston oark hospital and is huge. i do wonder if the two were connected in some way though.

If you are ever down at the bottom of Ponderosa park, by the main road behind Tesco, there is an information board with a map showing all the bodies of water that were up there and also some of the streets and a few pictures, its quite interesting!

If you are ever down at the bottom of Ponderosa park, by the main road behind Tesco, there is an information board with a map showing all the bodies of water that were up there and also some of the streets and a few pictures, its quite interesting!

Originally three dams existed, the Godfrey dam was the upper of the three,

there is a plaque on the railings at the corner of Northumberland Road and Whitham Road,

it refers to connections with the Sheffield Water Committee.

Godfrey Dam was a reservoir when I was a youngun in the 40's, there was or is another reservoir [Pisgah Dam] opposite the Old Grindstone pub at the corner of Lydgate Lane and Crookes Road.

Pisgah Dam was or maybe still is fed by a spring somewhere near the bottom of Bute St, as that's where the town well was situated when Crookes was in it's infancy, and there was a horse trough in that area [Crookes Revisited].

The spring or well flowed into Pisgah Dam, which then flowed into Godfrey Dam, there was an overflow which filled either a pond or concrete container which was on a small road behind the museum, and then the water went into what used to be the boating lake, from there it flowed [probably underground] down the St Phillips Road area and into the Don.

I remember the land on the opposite side of the road to the boating lake being filled with cinders from the steelworks, and I think it was used by Crookesmoor school as their sports ground afterwards, as we went to play rounders and football against them there, I suppose it's all been taken over for housing these days.

I can confirm that Seb grew up on Marlborough Road, I had a bedsit at number 60 for the princely sum of £4 pw in 1974/5 and we used to see him regularly both nearby or in The Broomhill Tavern.

I'm trying to confirm a memory I have regarding Sheffield and your comment lends support to it. I was a student at Sheffield University in 1988 and I had a friend who lived in student housing on Marlborough Rd. One day a letter from the British Olympic Committee arrived at the house. It was addressed to Sebastian Coe. I was surprised that they didn't have his current address because he had obviously moved on since then. One other interesting observation: there was a running track adjacent to the back garden - satellite imagery shows that it's now a football pitch.

I think there were two dams where the Uni playing fileds are now ,my parents who lived on Powell Street and Fawcett Street in the 1920`s,30`s and 40`s used to refer to them as the cup and saucer dams as I think one used to pour into the other.Obviously that was probably the local knicknames for them.

On another note I also used to work with a lad who lived on Powell Street in the 50`s and 60`s who as a nipper broke his toe playing football on the area known as the Ponderosa, he apparently kicked a large cast ring that was set in the ground to secure barrage balloons during the war. :hihi:

Archived