Law to change on internet 'trolls'- effect on SF?

In the wider context maybe, but I wouldn't have thought SF would have any concerns.

agreed, I think It's more to do with offensive comments on memorial pages winding up berieved parents, the Facebook pages saying 'so and so is a slag' etc. rather than a few people on here with multiple accounts.

I mean a lot of trolling is essentially harmless, winding up biggots, exposing how petty people can be, sometimes quite subtle clever humour.

agreed, I think It's more to do with offensive comments on memorial pages winding up berieved parents, the Facebook pages saying 'so and so is a slag' etc. rather than a few people on here with multiple accounts.

I mean a lot of trolling is essentially harmless, winding up biggots, exposing how petty people can be, sometimes quite subtle clever humour.

I agree but they can't segregate the law for what appear to be unfair comments to one set of users and not to another.

I've seen things said on here that no one would say in real life,except to themselves i've also seen comments removed that i say everyday.

It just shows how unworkable the system could be

Websites will be forced to identify internet Trolls also some new laws on liable will help to protect ISPs from prosecution if they identify possible Trolls have you been affected by Trolls? good idea or not have your say.

Yeah. Like this will ever work.

Some are over zealous ;)

I wasn't referring to SF with regard to bullying as by and large it is non existent. Most people on here seem to understand that its not personal as nigh on everyone assumes an alternate identity whereas with facebook and twitter the identity is not hidden.

Hahaha...Speak for yourself sunshine!

Depends on your definition of a troll.

To me a troll is someone who goes online, winds people up, has a laugh, makes the internet a brighter place and much less up its own bottom.

The people who should be affected are the nasty, cruel hurtful gits who go out of their way to heap misery on anyone and everyone.

As usual though i suspect it will be the harmless ones who are really affected by this.

A good idea.

I post under my own name. Anonymity cloaks a whole host of malevolent and defamatory comment.

The onus of proof should be on a member wishing to remain anonymous (e.g. if a battered wife, 'tug-of-love' child involved, etc.)

The BBC item today http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-18404621 states this:

New government proposals say victims have a right to know who is behind malicious messages without the need for costly legal battles. The powers will be balanced by measures to prevent false claims in order to get material removed.

Let's see if it's ever enacted, though. HMG has a habit of announcing things that never come to pass!

Archived