Law to change on internet 'trolls'- effect on SF?

Mod Note

plus from what I've read they want to put the burden of responsibility on the website owners for what is published. when you get huge sites full of user generated content it just can't be workable.

to me it just looks like a lot of hot air to make it look like the government is semi competent and is taking the issue seriously when in reality a 14 yr old child will be able to get around any measures put in place.

Just to clarify this point, comments posted on internet forums are not hearsay, or regarded as a private chat between friends and never have been.

The website owner is already responsible for any content that is published on the website that is allowed to remain after a legal complaint has been issued.

The original poster is, and always has been, responsible for the content of any posts they make, whether those posts are subsequently removed or not, please note "removal" does not mean there is no record of the post, these are available to the authorities.

Further a website, such as this one is regarded as a publication in the same class as a newspaper and is bound by the same rules.

Also because of the international nature of the internet, what you post may not break any laws in this country but could break laws in the country in which it is read, for example holocaust denial is not a crime in the UK but it is in Germany and you can be extradited for this.

All this ruling is doing is making it harder for people to break existing laws and remain anonymous, the authorities already have and use the ability to trace such people, this is just extending the same abilities to civil proceedings.

Which is why the moderation team remove posts which we think may come under these rules and as this is a private forum we reserve the right to remove anything we perceive as breaking our rules or the law of the land.

A good idea.

I post under my own name. Anonymity cloaks a whole host of malevolent and defamatory comment.

The onus of proof should be on a member wishing to remain anonymous (e.g. if a battered wife, 'tug-of-love' child involved, etc.)

The BBC item today http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-18404621 states this:

New government proposals say victims have a right to know who is behind malicious messages without the need for costly legal battles. The powers will be balanced by measures to prevent false claims in order to get material removed.

Let's see if it's ever enacted, though. HMG has a habit of announcing things that never come to pass!

I posted under my own name at first but I was advised that it was not a good idea to do that so I changed it.

Also because of the international nature of the internet, what you post may not break any laws in this country but could break laws in the country in which it is read, for example holocaust denial is not a crime in the UK but it is in Germany and you can be extradited for this.

I know you've posted this passage before Esme, but frankly, I don't believe a jot of it. If that were true, almost any of us could be extradited to any number of countries.

PS I am not breaking any forum rules in this post.

I know you've posted this passage before Esme, but frankly, I don't believe a jot of it. If that were true, almost any of us could be extradited to any number of countries.

PS I am not breaking any forum rules in this post.

Fine don't believe me, I don't mind http://www.bbc.co.uk/webwise/guides/internet-law
Online, however, there is the added danger that if you are posting views or comments to a forum in another country, you could find yourself falling foul of that country’s laws. Holocaust denial, for instance, is not a crime in the UK but it is in Germany - and extradition for that offence is possible.
And German courts do seem to be attempting to get hold of one Mr Töben for this offence http://cyberlaw.org.uk/2008/11/01/the-telegraph-alleged-holocaust-denier-allowed-bail/

They may not succeed in their attempt to extradite him but they do seem to be making an attempt.

But what do I know

Fine don't believe me, I don't mind http://www.bbc.co.uk/webwise/guides/internet-lawAnd German courts do seem to be attempting to get hold of one Mr Töben for this offence http://cyberlaw.org.uk/2008/11/01/the-telegraph-alleged-holocaust-denier-allowed-bail/

They may not succeed in their attempt to extradite him but they do seem to be making an attempt.

But what do I know

Quote:

Online, however, there is the added danger that if you are posting views or comments to a forum in another country, you could find yourself falling foul of that country’s laws. Holocaust denial, for instance, is not a crime in the UK but it is in Germany - and extradition for that offence is possible. /quote

It says if posting on a forum in another country? Which I read as posting on say, a German forum and saying something against their laws, not a forum in UK. What you orginally said seemed to say that if you posted in here, say, and it was read in Germany, they could ask for you to be extradited so they could charge you.

Aren't the Yanks the only people that can do that? :)

Quote:

Online, however, there is the added danger that if you are posting views or comments to a forum in another country, you could find yourself falling foul of that country’s laws. Holocaust denial, for instance, is not a crime in the UK but it is in Germany - and extradition for that offence is possible. /quote

It says if posting on a forum in another country? Which I read as posting on say, a German forum and saying something against their laws, not a forum in UK. What you orginally said seemed to say that if you posted in here, say, and it was read in Germany, they could ask for you to be extradited so they could charge you.

Aren't the Yanks the only people that can do that? :)

Well yes that is a fair point, and this forum is UK based, for the moment, there is no guarantee it will stay that way and there is no guarantee that you would be told prior to any move or be given any say in where it goes, but for the moment it is, so you are probably safe, for the moment.

Well yes that is a fair point, and this forum is UK based, for the moment, there is no guarantee it will stay that way and there is no guarantee that you would be told prior to any move or be given any say in where it goes, but for the moment it is, so you are probably safe, for the moment.
Obviously as it's a private owned forum, be too much to expect the owner to give anyone a say, not even the people that are running it for him, but wouldn't it be a bit dangerous, say, moving it to Germany and letting your members run the risk of infringing unknown laws without even giving them the option of deleting their accounts first? There must be some duty of care?

The people running it might even get sued if that happened, not saying they would, or that a move would even happen, so you're all probably safe, for the moment. :)

What about when you post a comment to a new thread on the Entertainment/chat section of the forum and then realise that the musical video provided by the OP contains vulgar content and offensive language.

Lesson learned!! always view the links properly before posting in future.:blush:

Archived