Law to change on internet 'trolls'- effect on SF?

Obviously as it's a private owned forum, be too much to expect the owner to give anyone a say, not even the people that are running it for him, but wouldn't it be a bit dangerous, say, moving it to Germany and letting your members run the risk of infringing unknown laws without even giving them the option of deleting their accounts first? There must be some duty of care?

The people running it might even get sued if that happened, not saying they would, or that a move would even happen, so you're all probably safe, for the moment. :)

Why would such a move affect people who haven't broken any laws ? why would such people need an opportunity to delete accounts? wouldn't the forum owner be guilty of conspiring to pervert the course of justice or whatever the equivalent would be in the target country by alerting users and allowing such behaviour ? if the site owner did not alert anyone to such a move who would sue them and why ?

Do you ever find yourself not writing on certain subjects because you're not anonymous on here?

Yes. Ideally, I'd like to have two usernames (one for 'legal' advice' posts and the other for everything else) but SF rules prohibit that. I can live with this restriction, I guess.

Quote:

Online, however, there is the added danger that if you are posting views or comments to a forum in another country, you could find yourself falling foul of that country’s laws. Holocaust denial, for instance, is not a crime in the UK but it is in Germany - and extradition for that offence is possible. /quote

It says if posting on a forum in another country? Which I read as posting on say, a German forum and saying something against their laws, not a forum in UK. What you orginally said seemed to say that if you posted in here, say, and it was read in Germany, they could ask for you to be extradited so they could charge you.

Aren't the Yanks the only people that can do that?

No. It's all to do with the Extradition Act and the 'European Extradition Warrant' foisted on the UK by the hated EU.

Just ask Julian Assange, the Natwest Three, et al.

No. It's all to do with the Extradition Act and the 'European Extradition Warrant' foisted on the UK by the hated EU.

Just ask Julian Assange, the Natwest Three, et al.

Ah, so it looks like you can be extradited even if the forum is UK based, gosh who'd a thunk it.

What you need to bear in mind when posting on any internet forum, not just this one, is this.

You are responsible for the content of any posts you make, no one else, just you.

If there are any repercussions for the content of the posts you make whether legal, civil or even just a moderator telling you off, then this is your fault, you are responsible, you published the post, they are your words and you are liable for them, if you break the law with your words then whatever happens as a result is on you.

Ah, so it looks like you can be extradited even if the forum is UK based, gosh who'd a thunk it.

What you need to bear in mind when posting on any internet forum, not just this one, is this.

You are responsible for the content of any posts you make, no one else, just you.

If there are any repercussions for the content of the posts you make whether legal, civil or even just a moderator telling you off, then this is your fault, you are responsible, you published the post, they are your words and you are liable for them, if you break the law with your words then whatever happens as a result is on you.

Crikey, I'm frightened to post now!!!!!...DOH...I already did!!!...Drat!!!

Do you ever find yourself not writing on certain subjects because you're not anonymous on here?

It doesn't bother me. Yes I can see that the anonymity thing can have it's advantages. But I never purposely try to upset anyone and don't argue for arguments sake. Yep, I do have the occasional set to with opinions I hold strongly, but I don't think I'm the sort of person the act sets out to clobber.

pretty unworkable to be honest. I would imagine anything beyond a bit of banter goes on behind proxy servers. plus the government doesn't even have a clear definition of what trolling is.

Facebook has recently been forced to identify people (trolls) in order to allow a civil prosecution for libel. Facebook are themselves of course not liable for the libel that people posted.

Facebook has recently been forced to identify people (trolls) in order to allow a civil prosecution for libel. Facebook are themselves of course not liable for the libel that people posted.

I just wonder how you would get that information out of FB. Ever tried to contact 'the powers that be' on FB? In my experience it's very, very difficult, and if you do manage to get someone, you normally just get a 'stock' answer!

Why do people feel the need to Troll ? I have been hounded by a lunatic on the David Iike forum and at times it has been threatening. Are these Trolls socially inadequate rejects who's only kick in life is annoying other people from behind their keyboards ?

The change in the law regarding internet Trolls is long overdue IMO.

Why do people feel the need to Troll ? I have been hounded by a lunatic on the David Iike forum and at times it has been threatening. Are these Trolls socially inadequate rejects who's only kick in life is annoying other people from behind their keyboards ?

The change in the law regarding internet Trolls is long overdue IMO.

I admit I've never seen or read anything on that forum, but my personal opinion is the Mr Iike, is slightly unhinged from reality anyway. It must attract other ...ummm...shall we say 'strange' people.

I'm not saying you are, but the David Iike forum?

Archived