Is food going off quicker these days?

Bought a loaf Sunday (brown wholemeal) from Asda.Use by date 16th June.

Sliced up some cheese,and looking forward to some toasties for my supper.

I noticed when i put the bread on the grill, mould.I checked the entire loaf,and the mould was on every slice.

I have noticed this problem on several products i have purchased from one of the big 4 stores. Tomatos and fruit seem to grow fur pretty quick.

I think the said loaf may have been frozen on site,then rapidly defrosted to fill the shelves(hence the premature deterioration of it)

Anyone else peed off with grub going off too quick?

Thanks

SHANE.

Bought a loaf Sunday (brown wholemeal) from Asda.Use by date 16th June.

Sliced up some cheese,and looking forward to some toasties for my supper.

I noticed when i put the bread on the grill, mould.I checked the entire loaf,and the mould was on every slice.

I have noticed this problem on several products i have purchased from one of the big 4 stores. Tomatos and fruit seem to grow fur pretty quick.

I think the said loaf may have been frozen on site,then rapidly defrosted to fill the shelves(hence the premature deterioration of it)

Anyone else peed off with grub going off too quick?

Thanks

SHANE.

I can’t say I’ve noticed and I have just eaten two yogurts that were 2 weeks past their use by date, they looked OK and tasted fine.

I can’t say I’ve noticed and I have just eaten two yogurts that were 2 weeks past their use by date, they looked OK and tasted fine.

Which should be just fine with yoghurts, since they've effectively gone off before they even get provided to the supermarkets, but the Food Standards Agency say that they can track how people's purses and wallets get less money in them by looking at the numbers of cases of food poisoning.

When they're not doing so well financially people take more risks with food, eating things which are further and further past their 'eat before' date, eating things with visible spoiling and storing left overs in the fridge for longer and longer spells.

If you're canny as to what things you store and which you throw out past their date then that's fine, but it can and does bite you on the bum if you store the wrong things for too long or keep the wrong type of leftovers for too long.

Cooked and sliced meats, prepared salads in creamy dressings, houmous and taramasalata, meat, fish and shellfish etc. are likely to contain dangerous levels of bacteria even a few days after their 'eat by' date (note- not the 'sell by' date as that is a much less valuable measure of a product's safety) and should be discarded even if they look, smell and taste fine.

If you've got fresh meat, fish or shellfish which is approaching the 'eat by' date and you're not going to have a chance to eat it then the best advice is to freeze it as soon as you know that you aren't going to consume it in good time (as long as it's not fish or shellfish which has been previously frozen- read the pack) and then defrost carefully and cook it really thoroughly when you do come to eat it.

Cooked deli meat and coleslaw, houmous and the like are never going to be risk free to eat after their 'eat by' date though, especially if they've been stood out at a picnic or barbecue. If they've been stood out even for a couple of hours at room temperature then they should never be returned to the fridge and stored again.

As for bread going off, that's why I store my own loaf in the fridge. My partner doesn't like bread that's been refrigerated, but he eats a loaf before it's had a chance to go off. It takes me the best part of a week to eat a loaf of bread so I'd rather refrigerate it and know it's fine to eat for most of the week.

Archived