Reporting a benefit thief.

Should i report a possible benefit thief  

106 members have voted

1. 1. Should i report a possible benefit thief

• Yes
    • No
    • Mind your own
    • Forget it, worse things happen at sea.

I'm not suggesting you report or not, that is up to you, but no-one would need to know if you did. This is what it says on the Crimestoppers website:

If you have information about suspected benefit fraud please call Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111 or use our secure Giving Information Form.

http://www.crimestoppers-uk.org/fraud/types-of-fraud/benefit-fraud/benefit-fraud

If accused decides to defend to defend themselves in court he has every right to know who accuses them . Believe me things have a habit off coming out . The accused generally finds out through his solicitor anyway besides him having his own suspicions .

So what's the benefits office procedure if you do report them?

Is it down to a "stop the payments and ask questions later" approach? Guilty until proved innocent? What happens if you are wrong?

I have been on the receiving end of a benefit fraud investigation, it was very quickly established that the informant who chose to remain anonymous had no grounds for grassing on me, the benefits office were very thorough, even searching our house, checking banks etc, etc, after a 2 month investigation all of the info that they were given by the grass was found to be incorrect, as i had indeed informed the benefits office of changes in our circumstances as and when required, and we were able to back it up with times and dates as to when we called them with the updates, something we have done for a couple of years after falling foul of the system, after we could not prove that we had called them on a previous occasion. I'm not bitter about the whole affair as the system is open to abuse and if it can be stopped it should be, but i am always left wondering as to who it was that thought i was in the wrong, there are so many two faced people out there, it could be anyone, family/friend/neighbour i will probably never find out, but i do hope they appreciate the pain that a false accusation can cause, and think long and hard before subjecting anyone else to a fraud investigation without 100% proof.

If accused decides to defend to defend themselves in court he has every right to know who accuses them . Believe me things have a habit off coming out . The accused generally finds out through his solicitor anyway besides him having his own suspicions .

You're talking rubbish. The investigators make their own case using the information provided to them. Who provided the information is irrelevent, and as said, you can provide information anonymously.

I have grassed before and they NEVER asked me my name. If they do simply don,t give it them, they cannot make you.

Report them.

Yes they want reporting . But i for one would not want to be looking over my shoulder for the rest of my life . Grasses have a habit of getting found out sooner or later espesialy on a council estate.

How is the benefit cheat ever going to find out who has 'grassed' them up when reporting them to the benefit fraud hotline is anonymous :huh: Unless of course Closet guy is bragging about it to his mates on the estate ? If someone is breaking the law by de-frauding the state and you know this for a fact then it is your duty to report them.

Archived