Reporting a benefit thief.

Should i report a possible benefit thief  

106 members have voted

1. 1. Should i report a possible benefit thief

• Yes
    • No
    • Mind your own
    • Forget it, worse things happen at sea.

Here's the deal.

I think i know of a benefit thief. Someone who claims they cannot work due to physical and social reasons but prove regularly that they can. I have proof of them refusing work offers (4 that i know of) and then claiming they are being discriminated against. The stuff this person says and the lies they tell drives me to distraction and i honestly feel they are putting off genuine people from trying to gain employment with the lies they tell and the excuses they give for not being "able to work".

I know this persons address as he/she lives quite close and i know where he/she drinks (i see him/her regularly displaying none of the disabilities they claim makes their quality of life so poor) but what other information would i need to make a report or would a name address and where they socialize be enough?

Im reluctant to go down the reporting route but i feel i have no choice. This person needs bringing to account and if found guilty needs punishing for this abuse of the system.

Thanks for any advice on this.

What is your proof that they are refusing work? And how did you obtain it?

Are you a doctor?

I would guess her/she is a concerned citizen who is sick of people 'stealing' from them - after all, the benefits they are getting come from the tax and NI working people pay.

If the person is not committing benefit fraud and investigation will determine this.

If they are, then they should be caught and made to pay back what they fraudulantly claimed and then made to work.

But they will have something to worry about, as the benefits system is such a huge minefield of complexities and bureaucracy its impossible to say who is a cheat and who isn’t.

But for argument sake let’s supposing someone gets a few extra quid for swinging the lead, what’s the big deal? How personally will it benefit you?

I look at this way - I work, I pay tax and NI, which goes in various pots, one such being the welfare pot. The welfare pot is for those who have fallen on hard times - lost their job, become ill, injured, disabled etc.,

Someone who can work, but chooses to 'play the system' or, as you put it is 'swinging the lead' is effectively stealing from me.

So, I put it this way, what if someone picks your pocket for a few pounds (they're not entitled to)? What's the big deal?

Archived