Smoke coming from car bonnet

It did it again when I got home today so I had a look and water had started to build up again. Looks like it is a leak somewhere so gunna have to get it to a garage on saturday. Anybody know how hard a job it will be and how much its likely to be?

If you get the chance, lift the bonnet and run the engine and see if you can spot where it is tracking down from. Dry all the pipes in the vicinity first, sit back and watch.

At least if you can identify the problem yourself you can explain it to the garage and hopefully reduce the risk of getting stung.

It did it again when I got home today so I had a look and water had started to build up again. Looks like it is a leak somewhere so gunna have to get it to a garage on saturday. Anybody know how hard a job it will be and how much its likely to be?

Its too vague to say. It could be a split pipe - a few quid, or something more serious running into hundreds.

Just take it to a couple of garages and compare their diagnosis and price.

• 4 months later...

Don't know if you solved this, but my W reg Ka suffered exactly the same symptoms as yourself. Here's what I found.

The thermostat housing gasket was crumbling and under pressure was leaking coolant in the form of steam and droplets. Not much steam, but enough to be noticeable on a drive over a couple of miles. There was also a burning smell.

On inspection, I saw that the leaking coolant and gasket residue was building up in the spark plug recess nearest the driver's side of the engine block.

The burning smell was the engine slightly overheating, though not enough to light up the dashboard coolant warning light, and burning off the coolant and residue.

I removed the old thermostat and gasket and cleaned up the mating surfaces. I fitted a new thermostat and gasket and topped up the coolant. Cost about a tenner and took me an hour or so because I'm a plodder.

The thermostat housing bolts need to be tightened with a torque wrench to 20 lb/ft or 27N/m. If you've no torque wrench be careful as the housing is an alloy.

Since the OP only needed the car to run for another month, so I doubt he cares anymore.

Maybe not, but this post could be useful to others with a similar problem. :thumbsup:

Don't know if you solved this, but my W reg Ka suffered exactly the same symptoms as yourself. Here's what I found.

The thermostat housing gasket was crumbling and under pressure was leaking coolant in the form of steam and droplets. Not much steam, but enough to be noticeable on a drive over a couple of miles. There was also a burning smell.

On inspection, I saw that the leaking coolant and gasket residue was building up in the spark plug recess nearest the driver's side of the engine block.

The burning smell was the engine slightly overheating, though not enough to light up the dashboard coolant warning light, and burning off the coolant and residue.

I removed the old thermostat and gasket and cleaned up the mating surfaces. I fitted a new thermostat and gasket and topped up the coolant. Cost about a tenner and took me an hour or so because I'm a plodder.

The thermostat housing bolts need to be tightened with a torque wrench to 20 lb/ft or 27N/m. If you've no torque wrench be careful as the housing is an alloy.

Archived