Olympic opening ceremony the final insult old mac donalds farm

The only decent part of the Torch relay will be the chance to cheer on our own "local hero" the Green Man ( John Burkhill) on 25th June in Chapeltown - forget your celebs and your elite , THIS man renews my faith in human nature !

He is a true hero , but is also extremely modest and unassuming ( except for the wig !) He is not interested in raising money for HIMSELF , but in order to HELP OTHERS .

For me , cheering John on will be the height of the Olympics !

I think your all going to have to eat your negative words when the big show begins, but typical Brits, putting their own country down as well as other countries, what the hells going to make you happy ? You were all happy when England won to host the Olympics , but happiness stopped right there , the work had to be done then.

Well I tlhink it's going to be fantastic....so stay in your pubs so you can bitch and moan about your athletes not winning, God forbid you give them any kind of support :roll:

I think it's because services and jobs have been cut left, right and center yet they can "find" £9+ BILLION to fund the Olympics.....

The original Olympics was held in a field and didn't have this much money spent on it - it's lost its true spirit and just become an expensive farce...

What barffles me about these whingers is that if they dont like the Olympics they dont have to watch them. There's a handy thing called a remote which can change channels in a second.

True. Did you also notice any means by which we can also opt-out of having our taxes wasted on them?

Exactly, it's nothing to do with pride in the nation, which those of us that have it do not need an over priced sporting event to feel. Pride in the nation is about the /nation/; who we are and what we have come from... and where we think we are heading. It is something within that you carry around with you always.

As a nation, however, we have been shamed by the gross overspending on a sporting event by people who have no idea on the value of money because it doesn't belong to them. We have been shamed by the ridiculous ideas that have won the arts funding around the Olympics. We have been shamed by the lack of historical context around the Olympics and the complete disregard for our traditions and values that its proponents extol.

No, we are not proud of the Olympics. We are proud of our athletes. We are proud of our history and our heritage. But we are shamed by the unimaginable waste of our money on holding this event.

. £13 billion to find out the fastest 100 metre runner? Bolt. To watch millionaire tennis players play exhibition tennis? Professional footballers doing what they do every week? Swimmers, who cares? There is nothing on view that we don't see throughout the year at any number of events , most of them as good, if not better.

Sport is great, and those involved and their families will be full of excitement, but for most of us it is a couple of weeks of flag waving, disrupted TV schedules and the great and good getting their face on TV and their nose in the trough.

As the cuts make life miserable for millions, I doubt around a dozen gold medals will over a couple of weeks will make splashing £13 billion on a giant sports day seem worth while or good value. However Dave, Boris and George will have great seats, fabulous photo opps and above all , they wont be paying for the party.

Archived