Olympic opening ceremony the final insult old mac donalds farm

. £13 billion to find out the fastest 100 metre runner? Bolt. To watch millionaire tennis players play exhibition tennis? Professional footballers doing what they do every week? Swimmers, who cares? There is nothing on view that we don't see throughout the year at any number of events , most of them as good, if not better.

Sport is great, and those involved and their families will be full of excitement, but for most of us it is a couple of weeks of flag waving, disrupted TV schedules and the great and good getting their face on TV and their nose in the trough.

As the cuts make life miserable for millions, I doubt around a dozen gold medals will over a couple of weeks will make splashing £13 billion on a giant sports day seem worth while or good value. However Dave, Boris and George will have great seats, fabulous photo opps and above all , they wont be paying for the party.

I suspect Mr Milliband and his pals will be sat next to them..after all Labour were in the driving seat when it was decided to bid for the games..

surface to air missiles ...what they expecting drones,b 52's :suspect:

Para-gliding Taliban suicide bombers.

Or maybe Tesco's have alerted them to an increase on sales in RC helicopters, chapati flour and bleach.

True. Did you also notice any means by which we can also opt-out of having our taxes wasted on them?

The thing to consider is how much will the Olympics cost the British tax payer as opposed to how much the UK will earn in revenue from the Olympics.

Most London hotels are booked up and charging anywhere from 500-3000 pounds a night. I bet even the bed and breakfast hotels in the suburbs are charging three or four times the regular going rate. Add on all the revenue earned from dining, shopping, entertainment, transport etc through taxes and then say if the whole thing is worth it or not.

The thing to consider is how much will the Olympics cost the British tax payer as opposed to how much the UK will earn in revenue from the Olympics.

Most London hotels are booked up and charging anywhere from 500-3000 pounds a night. I bet even the bed and breakfast hotels in the suburbs are charging three or four times the regular going rate. Add on all the revenue earned from dining, shopping, entertainment, transport etc through taxes and then say if the whole thing is worth it or not.

It isnt. In the grand scheme of things it wont make a blip on the UK economy as a whole.

£13Billion could have been wiped off our national debt and saved even more in interest payments

I know, why don't we look back in recent history, and see how the Olympics economically enabled Greece.:hihi:

The super rich haven't rubbed their hands together so much since the last 'war' was declared.

I know, why don't we look back in recent history, and see how the Olympics economically enabled Greece.:hihi:

The super rich haven't rubbed their hands together so much since the last 'war' was declared.

The super rich also including shop keepers, taxi drivers, restaurant and pub owners, souvenir shops and bed and breakfast places?

The super rich also including shop keepers, taxi drivers, restaurant and pub owners, souvenir shops and bed and breakfast places?

Good luck to them if they do well but the big bucks will have already been shared out and will be safely tucked away in tax havens.

Archived