From November, classic cars will not need an MoT

hi i took my old austin a35 in for its mot test yesturday....the mot test centre told me in november the law changers...no mot for classic cars....i drive 2 classics...i told the testing guy..i drive mine all the time.but i feel safe in it once its tested....as like all cars they fall apart on sheffield roads...so iv got in touch with dvla..and its true no mot after november..the cut of date is to be desided....but i can have a qickie test if i feel the car needs it?but im not compeled to do it..:suspect::suspect:my car passed its mot...on the way out the tester said thats it ill not book you in for next time?

How dangerous. Bad idea.

Not really, most proper classics are showered with love and attention. Everyone i know who runs a classic has never failed an MOT, to do so would be a personal insult!

The cut off will likely be pre 70's...which should keep all the (classic) rusty 80's Sierras etc & other deathtraps at bay!

Not really, most proper classics are showered with love and attention. Everyone i know who runs a classic has never failed an MOT, to do so would be a personal insult!

The cut off will likely be pre 70's...which should keep all the (classic) rusty 80's Sierras etc & other deathtraps at bay!

Thats a fair point,but surely theres gunna be some heaps out there aswell.

dvla said that very rare a classic car is involved in any sort of accident..their more carefull drivers.and so classic are not in use all the time...only during the sumer months like mine....when ever i go out in mine ..its a magnet.people come talking about the good old days...plus classic can be repaired not like modern cars.....after 5 years or less their no good

Speaking as someone who has worked in the motor trade, i am horrified by this decision. Only a few weeks ago i saw a morris minor with collapsed suspension, stranded in the middle of the road, with what i suspect to be broken a trunnion. I hope the insurance companies will see sense on this one and demand they are MOT'd before giving them any insurance cover. :o

I was at a Fiat 500 club event this weekend and was speaking with some Dutch people who had driven to the UK in their classics. They don't have MOTs there for classic cars either. As someone has already pointed out people who own true 'classics' treat them like velvet. They spend months and sometimes years restoring these vehicles. I would say that the majority of classics are safer than just 'old' cars which aren't looked after the same as 'classics'.