From November, classic cars will not need an MoT

There are no annual MOT tests on any cars or motor bikes in Tasmania provided you keep the vehicle registered. If the vehicle is unregistered for more than 3 months then it must be tested before it is allowed back on the road. Other states in Australia do have annual 'Rego' (MOT) tests.

Speaking as someone who has worked in the motor trade, i am horrified by this decision. Only a few weeks ago i saw a morris minor with collapsed suspension, stranded in the middle of the road, with what i suspect to be broken a trunnion. I hope the insurance companies will see sense on this one and demand they are MOT'd before giving them any insurance cover. :o

So obviously having an MOT doesn't stop this happening..

I think there is talk of making MOTs on all motors (with the exception of classics if this is true) go to every two years. I've chatted to them about it at the garage where I take mine for the MOT, they don't like the idea probably because of the loss of business but they make a valid point that some people do 100k a year so some vehicles may go 200k between MOTs.

I must say though, for somebody like myself who only does about 6000 per year I'd rather it go to every two years.

they make a valid point that some people do 100k a year so some vehicles may go 200k between MOTs.

How many people do that do you think? I do around 50k a year so my car will have 150k on when it's due it's first test..

I think there is talk of making MOTs on all motors (with the exception of classics if this is true) go to every two years.
If my 'Irish experience' is anything to go by (NCT test every two years over there), it's a bad idea, as many (too many?) car owners will just delay repair and maintenance by a year, i.e. do whatever is needed to pass at the time, and not even look at the oil level or tyre pressure in-between, however many miles are travelled...Like now, I suppose, only over 2 years instead of 1 :twisted:

In that same context, I would tend to agree with the comments about classics being better maintained and, dare I say it, roadworthy than many a modern car. But I just can't see how the exemption would work practically, especially from an insurer's PoV, so expect classic insurance premiums to jump.

If my 'Irish experience' is anything to go by (NCT test every two years over there), it's a bad idea, as many (too many?) car owners will just delay repair and maintenance by a year, i.e. do whatever is needed to pass at the time, and not even look at the oil level or tyre pressure in-between, however many miles are travelled...Like now, I suppose, only over 2 years instead of 1 :twisted:

In that same context, I would tend to agree with the comments about classics being better maintained and, dare I say it, roadworthy than many a modern car. But I just can't see how the exemption would work practically, especially from an insurer's PoV, so expect classic insurance premiums to jump.

I understand that there is the option of owners taking their cars for a test anyway..maybe those that do will carry on getting a lower premium?

I understand that there is the option of owners taking their cars for a test anyway..maybe those that do will carry on getting a lower premium?
Makes a lot sense, thereby making the proposed measure pretty much redundant from the off. I mean, other than for the sake of keeping Parliament and tag-alongs busy... :D

The kind of people who can afford old classic cars are the kind of people who vote for the Tories.

Nice to see the Conservatives have their priorities right, making like easier and cheaper for people who are already wealthy.

Should have seen this coming.