Marco at Milanos-disappointment

Last Thursday I received a call from my wife's favourite restaurant, Marcos, to say that they would be unable to open that evening due to a Drains problem outside the restaurant which would affect their operation that evening. In conversation with the caller it seemed clear that the issue was outside their control and that they were confident that it would be resolved for the following night's opening.

I'd booked a week beforehand as it was a surprise Wedding Anniversary meal for my wife. So the surprise was ruined and I was faced with a last minute chase around to find an alternative restaurant.

Has anyone else had this experience here as the caller indicated that this issue had occurred previously?

Now I know that they are in an old building that backs on to the Park and we'd had lots of rain so I'm prepared to accept it at face value even though friends of mine were sceptical but wouldn't it have been nice if they'd asked whether it was a special occasion and offered an alternative date for a later visit with perhaps a bottle of wine thrown in or am I being unrealistic ?

If I'm being honest, I think that's unrealistic. If you'd turned up and been sent away then yes, but they called you well in advance, so I think they did everything you could expect. Sorry, as I suspect that's not what you want to hear, but I'm just being honest.

Shame though as it's a great restaurant - I love the place.

Last Thursday I received a call from my wife's favourite restaurant, Marcos, to say that they would be unable to open that evening due to a Drains problem outside the restaurant which would affect their operation that evening. In conversation with the caller it seemed clear that the issue was outside their control and that they were confident that it would be resolved for the following night's opening.

I'd booked a week beforehand as it was a surprise Wedding Anniversary meal for my wife. So the surprise was ruined and I was faced with a last minute chase around to find an alternative restaurant.

Has anyone else had this experience here as the caller indicated that this issue had occurred previously?

Now I know that they are in an old building that backs on to the Park and we'd had lots of rain so I'm prepared to accept it at face value even though friends of mine were sceptical but wouldn't it have been nice if they'd asked whether it was a special occasion and offered an alternative date for a later visit with perhaps a bottle of wine thrown in or am I being unrealistic ?

totally unrealistic:roll: what more did you want them to do? they called you and explained it was out of their hands:confused: jeeees public eh, what about the business itself then? lost a few grand that night....are you bothered? another compensation culture vulture>?

If I'm being honest, I think that's unrealistic. If you'd turned up and been sent away then yes, but they called you well in advance, so I think they did everything you could expect. Sorry, as I suspect that's not what you want to hear, but I'm just being honest.

Shame though as it's a great restaurant - I love the place.

OK but I would not call that afternoon, "well in advance." It didn't leave me a lot of time to find elsewhere.

It' one of my favourites too which is why I was so disappointed at the turn of events I suppose.

totally unrealistic:roll: what more did you want them to do? they called you and explained it was out of their hands:confused: jeeees public eh, what about the business itself then? lost a few grand that night....are you bothered? another compensation culture vulture>?

Bottle of Wine = Compensation Culture!

Rather than cost them a few grand on a Rainy Thursday night (as if!) my friend commented that it was probably because it wasn't worth their while opening for a small number of customers on a week day night.(When I booked I was the only booking recorded in their Diary) He also said how could they be so sure of being open the following night if it was a drainage problem which would be out of their hands. I'm happy to accept their explanation at face value however.

I think it's more a case of good customer service. I go there regularly and was planning to take my daughter later this month to celebrate her graduation. Assuming there were only a few bookings then I would have telephoned the customer and asked if it was a special occasion and if it was then I would have offered something to soften the blow,some kind of offer at a subsequent visit would at least ensure a further booking!

On the other side of the coin I have no time for customers who make bookings for restaurants and don't honour them either.

Bottle of Wine = Compensation Culture!

Rather than cost them a few grand on a Rainy Thursday night (as if!) my friend commented that it was probably because it wasn't worth their while opening for a small number of customers on a week day night.(When I booked I was the only booking recorded in their Diary) He also said how could they be so sure of being open the following night if it was a drainage problem which would be out of their hands. I'm happy to accept their explanation at face value however.

I think it's more a case of good customer service. I go there regularly and was planning to take my daughter later this month to celebrate her graduation. Assuming there were only a few bookings then I would have telephoned the customer and asked if it was a special occasion and if it was then I would have offered something to soften the blow,some kind of offer at a subsequent visit would at least ensure a further booking!

On the other side of the coin I have no time for customers who make bookings for restaurants and don't honour them either.

why would you expect anything seeing as it wasnt their fault?i am sure they didnt have prior warning themselves of the problem:suspect:

i very much doubt that they would want to close on any thursday! i have been on a thursday and its always been pretty steady actually, certainly not empty and it definatly doesnt need many tables to rack up a few grand here with drinks and wine etc

you say you go regularly?

why would you expect anything seeing as it wasnt their fault?i am sure they didnt have prior warning themselves of the problem:suspect:

i very much doubt that they would want to close on any thursday! i have been on a thursday and its always been pretty steady actually, certainly not empty and it definatly doesnt need many tables to rack up a few grand here with drinks and wine etc

you say you go regularly?

Obviously more regularly than you as I at least know that they do Bring Your Own Wine on Thursdays!

OK but I would not call that afternoon, "well in advance." It didn't leave me a lot of time to find elsewhere.

It' one of my favourites too which is why I was so disappointed at the turn of events I suppose.

Well in advance? What, is the owner a phycic? I've heard the place is good, but not that good the staff can see into the future!

Obviously more regularly than you as I at least know that they do Bring Your Own Wine on Thursdays!

really?:huh: maybe not everyone wants to bring tescos finest:loopy: some like to drink wines not available elsewhere:hihi::hihi:

Archived