Marco at Milanos-disappointment

Last Thursday I received a call from my wife's favourite restaurant, Marcos, to say that they would be unable to open that evening due to a Drains problem outside the restaurant which would affect their operation that evening. In conversation with the caller it seemed clear that the issue was outside their control and that they were confident that it would be resolved for the following night's opening.

I'd booked a week beforehand as it was a surprise Wedding Anniversary meal for my wife. So the surprise was ruined and I was faced with a last minute chase around to find an alternative restaurant.

Has anyone else had this experience here as the caller indicated that this issue had occurred previously?

Now I know that they are in an old building that backs on to the Park and we'd had lots of rain so I'm prepared to accept it at face value even though friends of mine were sceptical but wouldn't it have been nice if they'd asked whether it was a special occasion and offered an alternative date for a later visit with perhaps a bottle of wine thrown in or am I being unrealistic ?

personally i dont think you are being unrealistic at all. a small gesture of a brandy or a house bottle of wine would have had given them repeat business and you would have probably gone around singing their praises, i am aware that they gave you plenty of notice and i am not in favour of a compensation culture, however like you, i would have expected a little something. they could have made you feel better by making a little effort. I am a massive fan of Milanos by the way, and think it is quite easily one of the best restaurants in the city.

however:

60% of businesses have no idea on customer service:

THROW A SPRAT TO CATCH A MACKERAL

Personally if something is out of a business control then it can't be helped. A little bit of common sense is probably called for. I think it can unfairly give a business a bad name by creating a thread on a local forum, when in all honesty, they couldn't have done alot about it.

It opens up the business for all kinds of little digs and speculation.

99% of the stuff I read on here about Marco's is that its a great place. If this was my little independent restaurant, i'd be disappointed that people's perception of it may be changed by threads like these.

Personally, I think it was very good customer service of the restaurant to call you as soon as they knew they wouldn't be able to open. They shouldn't have to offer you a bottle of wine, but they may well do if you inform them of the circumstances next time you book in.

Personally if something is out of a business control then it can't be helped. A little bit of common sense is probably called for. I think it can unfairly give a business a bad name by creating a thread on a local forum, when in all honesty, they couldn't have done alot about it.

It opens up the business for all kinds of little digs and speculation.

99% of the stuff I read on here about Marco's is that its a great place. If this was my little independent restaurant, i'd be disappointed that people's perception of it may be changed by threads like these.

Personally, I think it was very good customer service of the restaurant to call you as soon as they knew they wouldn't be able to open. They shouldn't have to offer you a bottle of wine, but they may well do if you inform them of the circumstances next time you book in.

There seems to be some doubt as to whether the reason given was genuine? In the current climate it wouldn't be surprising for restaurants to not bother opening if booking numbers are low. And this "drainage" thing does sound like a bit of a **** and bull story to me - but it may be genuine. There's some suggestion it has been used as a reason/excuss before though and that only raises more doubt as one might expect such a problem to be a one-off and remedied following the first occasion.

I would imagine if they had to close the restaurant due to drainage problems outside their control they would have claim, to the council, for compensation for loss of earnings. It is possible to trace whether such a claim was made.

Well, I guess we'll find out if Marco's are having a continuing problem with the drains near their premises, or indeed with any other issues that prevent them from opening during their normal hours.

Assuming the reason given was genuine though I don't think one could expect anything other than an apology. Although I'm sure if this was the US there would be a lawsuit filed for the same thing! :)

Frankly, faced with this situation I'd have shot off to the Devonshire Arms at Beeley, near Chatsworth. Where good food is to be had and bookings are not required.

OK but I would not call that afternoon, "well in advance." It didn't leave me a lot of time to find elsewhere.

If it had only just happened how could they have told you any earlier? If it was out of their control there was very little else they could have done..

just read this thread- the same thing happened to me- i booked in for a wednesday eve and they called me to say there had been a power cut. i took it on face value at the time but maybe we were the only people booked in that night so he pulled the plug? have been successfully since and had a fantastic meal.

just read this thread- the same thing happened to me- i booked in for a wednesday eve and they called me to say there had been a power cut. i took it on face value at the time but maybe we were the only people booked in that night so he pulled the plug? have been successfully since and had a fantastic meal.

Wednesdays must be power cuts and Thursdays drain problems!

Wednesdays must be power cuts and Thursdays drain problems!

:hihi:

They are either most incredibly unfortunate - or they are telling porkies.

Why don't they do themselves a favour and just close on those nights, for an experimental period say of 2 or 3 months? They could give themselves a period over which to accurately assess whether, in terms of profitability, it is worth them opening every night.

They've got a fabulous reputation as a restaurant and I honestly don't think there's a better standard restaurant, or even one that comes anywhere close to it, in Sheffield.

(The Old Vicarage at Ridgway and some places out in Derbyshire to rival it - but not within the city).

But, if they are going to keep messing customer's around like this - and coming up with, let's face it, what appears to be paltry excuses, they are going to lose a lot of face and reputation.

It takes years to build up a good reputation - but only moments to lose it.

Having read some of the things on here about Marco's - I'd be reluctant already, I have to admit, to make a booking with them for midweek.

Most of my "dining" midweek would be clients on business and there's no way I'd want to have that dilemma to deal with if they decided to pull the plug on me because they weren't busy enough.

Something for them to give SERIOUS consideration to.

A pattern is emerging here - and it's not a pretty one! :suspect:

Archived