The employment myth

There are a significant number of vacancies in the private sector, if the applicant has the correct skill set.

Unfortunately, for years, successive governments have been steering our young adults into meaningless degrees at second rate universities.

There are no jobs for graduates with "soft" degrees such as Media Studies and Social Science, but there are a significant number of vacancies in Engineering, R&D etc. most paying decent salaries.

I get the gist, but where are these plentiful jobs for the hard science graduates in South Yorkshire?

Please do tell.

Until the universities are forced to teach the courses that the country needs and not the subjects they can easily fill: and charge for; this will continue to be the case.

Universities help create debt, and inject money into the system. Young people are coerced into student debt.

Blame for this parlous state of affairs can also be lain at door of teachers who have no experience outwith the educational sector and are totally unequiped to offer cogent careers advice to our youth.

I do agree, but how to encourage older people with industrial/commercial experience to teach?

There are plenty of jobs, Ive got 2. Stop whinging get off your backside and get out there.

Vote for Dave

:hihi::hihi::hihi:

No. I'm not leaving my house until money is free, has no value outside my village and decreases to nothingness unless it's spent.

Where are the jobs coming from?

There have been suggestions of using israel's model of a high-tech industry in Britain. It would require massive investment from the government but has proved extremely successful over there.

It also requires the majority of students to study only engineering and technology subjects or management.

After the initial investment, the majority of funding comes from abroad/international companies as hundreds of hightech startups spring up everywhere. Giving a career path to a graduate straight out of university.

All that is required is an idea.

Basically they take someone else's ideas and reengineer/tweak it to a slightly different specification and sell the idea either back to company who owns the original product or their competitor depending on who makes the highest investment/bid.

It's a very callous industry with high turn over of staff.

The skill lies in being able to predict what changes the market and consumers would like to see in a given product.

As Britain is still considered the best in the world for speciality engineering tasks I see no reason why this can't be implemented.

The main downsides are the requirement for performance related hiring and firing. And a drastic shake up of the uk education system.

It’s a bright future while you play the optimistic game thus having not to think about reality.

So being lied to and lapping it up seems all the rage. If it ain’t the unemployed, the pensioners, single mothers, the ignorant and the other worthless to look down on, which is of course just a smokescreen, for the semi literate.

So where are the jobs going to come from? Joining the war machine, if you are young and impressionable enough to be a statistic. So industry, well that is about to boom, all that investment, the private sector charging into prosperity, or is it.

Where are the jobs coming from?

Industry? No!

Working for the DHSS? No.

Working in burger bars? Maybe

Being a celebrity? I think not!

Cleaning roads and pavements? Well they are being cut.

Local government? They are being sacked by the thousand!

The booming building industry, homes for the unemployed, the kids with rich parents??

Starting a business on your own, trying to sell to employed people with shrinking salaries? Brownnosing council members, with backhander for that contract? Maybe!

So education, health, local government, Council work, and all associated work, as in local housing, road maintenance, all being cut, so businesses previously relying on such laying off.

So where is the growth to come from? Ever thought about it? Your job is always under threat if you do not work for yourself, as a million people with degrees are unemployed, never mind the skilled tradesmen who got the boot, and are looking at your job, willing to work for less. With the law now changing so one can sack unproductive people, how long term is you job?

So if you have not got a Ma, or PhD in maths or physics then the banking sector will not bother with you, unless you are after a cleaning job, or car washing.

Where is the magic to come from? Who are the employment magicians.

There will be growth in police, prisons or course, not forgetting security, at minimum wage till they stop that lark too. Who knows maybe they will employ some people to build a space station on the moon……

Get a MSc or PhD in Maths/Physics then.

Simples.

There are plenty of jobs, Ive got 2. Stop whinging get off your backside and get out there.

Vote for Dave

If you got 2 jobs it just tells everyone you earn very low wage and need second job just to keep head above water. i wouldnt work if it doesnt pay me enough for my needs, no way am i getting a second job as i want a life outside work

There are plenty of jobs out there for people with the right skills. Unfortunately a degree in tourism or art are not the right skills.;)

My misses hasn't done too bad with her degree in art aesthetics. I think your attitude counts as much as your educational qualifications.

Archived