The employment myth

whats the country going to do with people like you at 67 not only still working but taking 2 jobs from our youth :hihi:.

If that’s true I would be keeping my trap shut rather than telling everyone that at the age of 67 my finances meant that I need two jobs :o I hope they are only ½ a day each.

I just thank God that I am retired, who would want to leave education these days and have to find a non existant job.

Angel.

I'm retired too, and I love it. However, I regularly see jobs advertised in local authorities; in the NHS; in voluntary agencies bulletins; on all sorts of employment websites.

It must be soul destroying being unable to find work, I've listed some of the sites below in the hope they might help someone who was previously unaware of them.

http://www.jobs.nhs.uk/index.html

https://sccjobs.sheffield.gov.uk/ljrl/ - (try the schools jobs, plenty for non-teaching staff)

http://www.vas.org.uk/jobs/jobs?__type=view&jobid=3013&_ts=25131

http://www.mysheffieldjobs.co.uk/

Most people I work with are holding down two (part time) jobs, neither are going to make them rich but they earn a canny wedge each month and I suppose they have a variety that full time employment doesn't always offer. I might do likewise to boost the money.

That's just rubbish and is the usual synopsis trotted out by the typical sociopath and people who don't really understand the problem and know no better. On one hand, you and many people suggest that universities are not equipping graduates with the skills that society needs, yet on the other hand, people moan because universities are providing people with skills rather than teaching people how to learn for themselves. Besides, are you really suggesting there are no need for TV and radio presenters, social workers and the rest? It sound to me like you're trying to restrict education to others in a bid to try and keep yourself in work.

Why do you have to be so insulting?

If what you say is true, how come I can't fill two vacancies I have, within my company, for two optical engineers? Both roles pay circa £30k.

In the economy as a whole there are approx 500,000 vacancies. Not all of the are full-time. Some are only a handful of hours per week. 2.5m unemployed. Millions on ESA they want to convert to JSA. Figures massaged to exclude thoese part-timers who want full-time work. Figures massaged by keeping people as students. Net immigration rising. Nothing for 18-24 year olds. Manufacturing decreasing. Construction decreasing. Retail in a nosedive. Financial sector effectively insolvent.

There is no point pretending there are enough jobs because it isn't true. End of story.

Absolutely true. It turns out that half of the 'new jobs' announced in yesterdays figures are self-employed. (We can't make steel any more, but Christ we've got some good dog-walkers! :D)

This 'there are plenty of jobs out there' is a big con. The job sites are replicating what the Star used to do on Thursdays (when people still bought the rag) - 'X-hundred jobs in The Star tonight!'. Look closer and what they think are jobs are actually training courses or '£500+ per week OTE' scams.

At the moment, I'm tracking a job on one of the biggest job sites. It's at one of the universities and is for 2 positions. They've got it under Sheffield, Rotherham, Donnie, Barnsley and Chesterfield. Same two jobs, but appears in their stats as '10 jobs'. It closes on Monday 25th. Bet it's still on this site for a couple of weeks extra.

Archived