The employment myth

It’s a bright future while you play the optimistic game thus having not to think about reality.

How right you are. The worlds order is in a state of flux, with population booming the status quo is in danger of returning up its own ass.

My misses hasn't done too bad with her degree in art aesthetics. I think your attitude counts as much as your educational qualifications.

A single anecdote doesn't tell us much of course, I have no doubt that there are soft degree graduates who have done well, but it's still not the skills set that industry wants and there are still too many soft degree graduates being produced.

I just thank God that I am retired, who would want to leave education these days and have to find a non existant job.

Angel.

My nephew just finish a computer programming course in hallam uni and got a job in local firm in sheffield center for £27k, not bad for a first job, there is jobs if go and look instead of spending your time on silly forums telling/reading about there is no jobs anywhere

My nephew just finish a computer programming course in hallam uni and got a job in local firm in sheffield center for £27k, not bad for a first job, there is jobs if go and look instead of spending your time on silly forums telling/reading about there is no jobs anywhere

That's a really high starting salary for a new graduate..which company is it if you don't mind me asking..

A single anecdote doesn't tell us much of course, I have no doubt that there are soft degree graduates who have done well, but it's still not the skills set that industry wants and there are still too many soft degree graduates being produced.

Considering that most of these so called soft degrees are formulated by Universities in consultation with industry it seems counter intuitive for people to then claim that the skill sets are not what industry wants.

There was an example of this at one of the West country universities where they were teaching something like Surf Sport & Management which the national press lambasted but turned out to contain the exact curriculum requested by the tourist industry.

Considering that most of these so called soft degrees are formulated by Universities in consultation with industry it seems counter intuitive for people to then claim that the skill sets are not what industry wants.

There was an example of this at one of the West country universities where they were teaching something like Surf Sport & Management which the national press lambasted but turned out to contain the exact curriculum requested by the tourist industry.

Have you just made that up for a laugh:loopy:

Have you just made that up for a laugh:loopy:

Have you lost the ability to do a little research in order to disprove other people's arguments or do you think a loopy smiley adds weight to your contribution?

If you ever wonder why we have such high unemployment in sheffield, Just go to your local job center and see how scruffy, druggie, crazy face piecing, etc etc, why would anyone want to pay them £6+ an hour

Not that I witnessed many of the type you highlight but a stint of unemployment leading up to christmas last year revealed a high percentage of average looking people looking for work.

That's a really high starting salary for a new graduate..which company is it if you don't mind me asking..

It's above average, but not by much. Starting salary for a graduate developer will be around £25k in any national company.

Archived