The employment myth

How right you are. The worlds order is in a state of flux, with population booming the status quo is in danger of returning up its own ass.

They might find that third chord there. :hihi:

Im disapointed that this joke seems to have gone unnoticed, I thought it was quite good, for me.

I used an example, but I think the problem is more aptly demonstrated by the number of graduates with soft degrees who don't have work. Maybe the relevant industries asked for them to be trained just so that they could then not employ them?

Or maybe they wanted like 100 trained people, and because the degrees are easy they got 10,000.

Interesting theory!

In my case, I went through college then onto university obtaining a networking degree (computers). They kept telling us, do well and you will be in work bla bla.

Finishing my degree with a high score I was hit with the harsh an damn right stupidness of the working world. With no experience, places offering higer positions didn't want to know. Places with lower positions wondered why a person with a computing degree was even applying for the job; also did not want to know.

I was out of work two years, and just on the off chance I ended up in a simple admin job at the home office, with the contract rolling every so often. That lasted a couple of months off two years.

That was over in 2010. Now been applying for admin work since then. I have qualifications and experience in the field I am applying for.

guess what? no one wants to know.... and that BS "training" providers spout with the chart and all about the hidden job market.... it doesn't exist.

I am among many in this position, it will not be getting any better.

You also fail to add that they are more likely to be relevant to future careers in those industries which have worked with higher learning centres to develop those so-called soft degrees.

If this is the case, why are there so many unemployed soft degree graduates?

You don't find many unemployed MEng graduates... But the course is really quite hard.

I only know one unemployed software developed (and I know a lot of them), but the degree is pretty difficult...

Is it not a case that this particular group are in the spotlight at present. There are a large number of unemployed graduates but there are a large number of unemployed and though I have no links to provide figures it's likely that another demographic could be found.

No, the problem of the lack of employment for soft degree graduates has existed for much longer than the general rise in unemployment.

You may be right but I can't remember a time when unemployment hasn't been an issue certainly not in the last 20 years but perhaps the constant bad news obscures any good.

One issue for graduates is location. When my kids were looking for work, back in the early 90s, they recognised that it might not be on their doorstep. The one who went straight to Uni came home for a year after graduation, couldn't find a decent job, did a masters in IT systems, and hasn't looked back. But he works near Manchester. The one who did a vocational course, worked abroad, then in the UK for a time, then went to university in London, worked around the UK, then abroad again! She has ended up back here in a great job that she loves.

And so many graduates who work in Sheffield didn't start out here. Swings and roundabouts!

Just looking in Sheffield and surrounds isn't going to be the answer for everyone. However, If I was looking for work in this area at the moment, I would have a think about becoming a teaching assistant. The basic level isn't particularly well paid, but there are career opportunities. And, there seem to always be vacancies in Sheffield schools. If I had a degree, I might look at a job in a school as a taster, and if I enjoyed it, perhaps then do a Post Grad teaching qualification.

Here are some current jobs in schools, select 'support staff' and have a look: https://jobs.sheffield.gov.uk/school_search.asp?NAV=S

It brings up clerical, caretaking, IT support, and even a job for a first aid officer!

You may be right but I can't remember a time when unemployment hasn't been an issue certainly not in the last 20 years but perhaps the constant bad news obscures any good.

It's definitely had ups and downs, it wasn't really an issue as I remember it from 2000 to 2007.

One issue for graduates is location. When my kids were looking for work, back in the early 90s, they recognised that it might not be on their doorstep. The one who went straight to Uni came home for a year after graduation, couldn't find a decent job, did a masters in IT systems, and hasn't looked back. But he works near Manchester. The one who did a vocational course, worked abroad, then in the UK for a time, then went to university in London, worked around the UK, then abroad again! She has ended up back here in a great job that she loves.

And so many graduates who work in Sheffield didn't start out here. Swings and roundabouts!

Just looking in Sheffield and surrounds isn't going to be the answer for everyone. However, If I was looking for work in this area at the moment, I would have a think about becoming a teaching assistant. The basic level isn't particularly well paid, but there are career opportunities. And, there seem to always be vacancies in Sheffield schools. If I had a degree, I might look at a job in a school as a taster, and if I enjoyed it, perhaps then do a Post Grad teaching qualification.

Here are some current jobs in schools, select 'support staff' and have a look: https://jobs.sheffield.gov.uk/school_search.asp?NAV=S

It brings up clerical, caretaking, IT support, and even a job for a first aid officer!

I despair at the number of graduates who go into teaching because they can't get anything better. Our kids deserve better.

Teaching is a vocation and a good teacher has a gift for it and probably wanted to do it practically from birth.

The profession is also to blame in that so many teachers, good, bad and indifferent, are leaving in droves because of working practices, government interferance, and work load. So there are always vacancies.

Teaching is damned hard work and needs dedicated people who do it for love as well as money.

Archived