The employment myth

I've come across a YouTube video called 97% Owned - be warned , it's an hour long but is a really interesting documentary which has really opened my eyes to the way we have been deceived and manipulated by the banks .

It explains how the housing bubble was manipulated , and explains why house prices are so high now , meaning young people don't have a chance of getting on the property ladder ( and "mortgage" means debt until death ).

Worth a watch if you've got an hour and care anything about the future !

I second that recommendation, it can be found in the link in my sig. There are screenings of this all around the country at the moment. The creators of the video have been working closely with the New Economics Foundation which regularly releases crucial papers on economic sustainability.

The bottom line is, sure, the system we've had for the past century or so has "worked", but for how much longer will it work? Are we willing to let it collapse in on itself before we change it, which seems to be the historic trend, or would we prefer to avert the catastrophic effects of a crumbling system and start restructuring it now?

It all starts with the banks - they fuel industry with credit and therefore they determine the nature of our economy.

It all starts with the banks - they fuel industry with credit and therefore they determine the nature of our economy.

Banks firstly restrict the flow of other peoples money and then lend their own out.

It's definitely had ups and downs, it wasn't really an issue as I remember it from 2000 to 2007.

I have to disagree on that last bit.

IIRC That's around the time that New Labour introduce the failed New Deal scheme to try and get the then unemployed into work. It was also designed to try and get the then rising youth unemployment figures down.

Both failed to do what they were designed to do and were failures.

Now we have a government that is extending that failed Labour idea into workfare, spending £billions to try and make it work and again it will be doomed to failure. In 2000 the unemployment rate was around 8.4%, today its around 8.2% so despite the spending and initiatives not much has changed.

I have to disagree on that last bit.
http://www.tradingeconomics.com/united-kingdom/unemployment-rate

Check out the figures, they back up what I said.

Unemployment was stable and moderate through from 2000 to 2008 then jumped by over 100%

IIRC That's around the time that New Labour introduce the failed New Deal scheme to try and get the then unemployed into work. It was also designed to try and get the then rising youth unemployment figures down.

Both failed to do what they were designed to do and were failures.

Now we have a government that is extending that failed Labour idea into workfare, spending £billions to try and make it work and again it will be doomed to failure. In 2000 the unemployment rate was around 8.4%, today its around 8.2% so despite the spending and initiatives not much has changed.

6% in 2000 and falling according to the figures I'm looking at, soon hitting 5% and staying around that rate until early 2008.

http://www.tradingeconomics.com/united-kingdom/unemployment-rate

Check out the figures, they back up what I said.

Unemployment was stable and moderate through from 2000 to 2008 then jumped by over 100%

6% in 2000 and falling according to the figures I'm looking at, soon hitting 5% and staying around that rate until early 2008.

Sorry, I do admit that I put 8.4% for 2000 instead of 6.4% by mistake.

But, despite the individual yearly figures its remained fairly stable.

Quote;

"The unemployment rate in the United Kingdom was last reported at 8.2 percent from February to May of 2012. Historically, from 1971 until 2012, the United Kingdom Unemployment Rate averaged 7.2 Percent reaching an all time high of 12.0 Percent in February of 1984 and a record low of 3.4 Percent in November of 1973"

So despite the waste of money spent on employment initiatives the current unemployment rate has hardly changed.

Archived