Christian psychotherapist caught trying to "cure" homosexuality

I don’t see why it as to be legal to be normal, if genetics are responsible for homosexuality and it can’t be altered, then genetics could just as easily be responsible for paedophilia which also cannot be altered. Maybe there was an advantage in the past in selecting a young bride which no longer applies today because we live longer. So paedophilia could be normal but illegal because we know find it morally wrong.

Point taken (as has been discussed before), I should have said that I consider it to be the ethical and moral norm.

It was prominent in Rome,hardly a medieval period.Islam was founded around that time,Sikhism is relatively recent,and the Moonies are very recent.

I was paraphrasing what the Islamophobes were saying about Islam. It wasn't meant to be taken literally.

I believe that any legal sexuality is the norm, that's me being obtuse is it?

The vast majority of the population is heterosexual by definition that makes it the norm - yes to argue otherwise is being obtuse.

From the same source I gave earlier:

It transpires during the sessions that she gets most of her clients through an NHS GPs' surgery near her home. She says they refer people to her for treatment for their homosexuality. I tell her I know someone in that area that wants referring, should he just say its for anxiety and depression? "I think it would be better to say anxiety and depression initially and then we can take it from there," she replies. "He can usually get four sessions with the practice, which are paid for by the NHS."

Firstly that's a different therapist secondly she actually states she charges £40 per session - not exactly NHS paying for it is it?

Are you for real? You're saying that you'd need to be a qualified counsellor to realise that these are not ethical;

"people only identify as gay when they are already depressed"

"at the heart of homosexuality is a "deep isolation""

"There's a darkness that's very real that keeps you as its dog, but of course our God is more powerful than that."

"Freemasonry often encourages it as well. It has a spiritual effect on males and it often comes out as SSA."

about the story of a man who cures himself of HIV through prayer: "Well the Lord heals, doesn't he?"

on being asked how she views homosexuality – as a mental illness, an addiction or an anti-religious phenomenon? "It's all of that," she replies.

repeatedly suggesting that he must have been abused as a child: "I think you must have had quite a lot of bullying." No, I say. "There was no sexual abuse?" she asks, leaning in and squinting again. No, I repeat. "I think it will be there," she replies, dropping her voice to a concerned tone. "It does need to come to the surface."

"She looks up. I ask her again about this abuse. "I think there is something there," she says. "You've allowed things to be done to you." In the next session I ask if she thinks the abuse would have taken place within my family, because I can't remember it. "Yes, very likely," she replies."

To think that these statements and questions are anything BUT unethical (to say the least) is just being obtuse

With the exception of the last statement about abuse I'm afraid I don't think that they are unethical at all. I don't believe them BUT if the therapist believes them, uses them and they are helpful to the client then I don't think they are unethical no. Just because you don't buy into the framework doesn't make it unethical.

The Christian model is unfounded, baseless and made up though. Some of it is just outright lies.

*sigh* once again for the slow and blinded by their own bigotry - MOST models of psychotherapy are unfounded, baseless and made up. However if the therapy framework is useful to the counsellor and client then they are valid. Christianity as a counselling framework probably has more going for it than many as it has a long standing ethical and social framework to work within. The same can not be said for many, many other therapy frameworks (though those can be equally effective). It's fairly evident that your problem is far more with the Christian element of this story than any other part of it - perhaps you should try some therapy for your prejudices?

The vast majority of the population is heterosexual by definition that makes it the norm - yes to argue otherwise is being obtuse.

I haven't argued otherwise, an even vaster majority of the population is sexual by definition, that makes it even more the norm. To argue otherwise is being more obtuse.

Firstly that's a different therapist

No, it really is her. Read it again.

secondly she actually states she charges £40 per session -

and she states that you can get up to four sessions paid for by the NHS

not exactly NHS paying for it is it?

Yes.

With the exception of the last statement about abuse I'm afraid I don't think that they are unethical at all. I don't believe them BUT if the therapist believes them, uses them and they are helpful to the client then I don't think they are unethical no.

That's my point exactly, telling untruths which can easily be researched by the patient when the session is over, is NOT going to help once they've found out they have been misguided/lied to etc.

Even if the patient accepted what they were told without question, repressing healthy sexual urges to lead a life of denial and fighting the occasional guilty thought, isn't really helping them.

*sigh* once again for the slow and blinded by their own bigotry - MOST models of psychotherapy are unfounded, baseless and made up.

No, many come from research, study and investigation into the human psyche. The Christian model (in this case) includes prejudices and misinformation which is easily rebuked. Freud's theories may or may not have been right, but Mrs. Pilkington's claim that having Freemason relatives makes you turn gay is transparently bull***t.

However if the therapy framework is useful to the counsellor and client then they are valid.

Agreed, but in the case repressing your sexuality, see previous statement.

Christianity as a counselling framework probably has more going for it than many as it has a long standing ethical and social framework to work within.

Only if you look on the surface. Anyone who researches or looks into it will find plenty of conflicting & contradictory moral teachings.

The same can not be said for many, many other therapy frameworks (though those can be equally effective). It's fairly evident that your problem is far more with the Christian element of this story than any other part of it - perhaps you should try some therapy for your prejudices?

No, my problem is with the crap she's told him, I'd be saying the same of any theist or atheist pyschotherapist if they were doing the same.

This from the BACP guidelines:"Practitioners should not allow their professional relationships with clients to be prejudiced by any personal views they may hold about sexual orientation."

Interesting how the media only ever seems to highlight negative Christian views toward homosexuality, when some other religions are far more intolerant and extreme towards it :l

You may have a point, but if you know of any similar non-Christian cases, start a thread about it and I'll rant on there too.

Interesting how the media only ever seems to highlight negative Christian views toward homosexuality, when some other religions are far more intolerant and extreme towards it :l

Maybe as you suggest our expectations of Christianity are higher, or maybe it's because in our country Christianity has a far larger influence over our society than other religions; after all we have unelected Bishops in our Houses of Parliament.

Maybe as you suggest our expectations of Christianity are higher, or maybe it's because in our country Christianity has a far larger influence over our society than other religions; after all we have unelected Bishops in our Houses of Parliament.

Established Church

Archived