Obesity epidemic. Stuffing yourself to blame?

It could be argued if it hasn't already, that if they are genuinely poor then they could not afford to become obese.

I have no recollection of seeing a fat big issue vendor and these are fairly poor individuals.

It has, we qualified it as being relatively poor in a rich country. Not poor in absolute terms.

Amongst my friends (non of whom are poor unless you count the students) the podgiest are the ones least likely to join us at the swimming pool or the climbing wall. I don't think that's really a coincidence.

They aren't lazy though, they have different priorities in life, some of them work much longer hours than me, some of them have children, I have the luxury of nothing pressing to do tonight except run to the pool and have a swim.

Like many things (anti social behavior for example) over the coming years obesity will become a job creation scheme with well paid busybodies whos sole aim will be to close grass roots level sport down with rules and lots of expensive hoops to jump through, which will force the club to shut.

I know of a few sports clubs over the last couple of years that have gone to the wall because they cannot afford the cost of the rules, yet on the other hand they cannot access funding because they do not meet a certain criteria..........they cannot meet the criteria because to do so would mean the training fees have to double, which means less people come to train. Its a vicious circle and nobody wins apart from thr people employed in these job creation schemes.

I'm not allowed to display any of my marketing literature in chemists, or nhs waiting rooms (despite being bombarded will wall to wall garbage on obesity) because they have pills and the NHS would not be too keen on my adverts being in their buildings.

In spite of the slight head start the nhs has over me in terms of taxpayer funding, my adverts are not allowed on their notice boards.

Its like so many things these days, crime, anti-social behavior, drug addiction, these industrys create 1000s of jobs whos jobs are to help fuel the problem, and so more jobs and funding is needed to do this.

Very soon, you will have to pay to park in the parks car parks (Graves, Millhouses, Hillsborough) and so this is an additional cost to people who come to do activities in the parks. The sports clubs that operate in the park have to pay higher costs for licences, its a vicious circle, costs go up, numbers go down etc.....

It would be difficult to work out the causality there for sure, but my gut feeling is that it's more about education than laziness.

It could be argued that some received a poor education because they were lazy and didn’t put the effort in.:)

It's so easy to criticise people for their size, but in my experience other people judging without understanding has a far more harmful effect, on both overweight and underweight people.

Disordered eating issues are not only for the overweight.

It could be argued that some received a poor education because they were lazy and didn’t put the effort in.:)

I don't recall ever have been educated on nutrition at all. It's self taught and common sense. The information is out there if you want to research it and is now available at the click of a button. Even trashy mags feature endless articles on diet and exercise, there is a wealth of information. All food now display fat and sugar content, it really is not rocket science.

I don't recall ever have been educated on nutrition at all. It's self taught and common sense. The information is out there if you want to research it and is now available at the click of a button. Even trashy mags feature endless articles on diet and exercise, there is a wealth of information. All food now display fat and sugar content, it really is not rocket science.

I think you got the wrong end of the stick with my post, but I do agree with yours. :)

unless you discuss the calorific values, energy expenditure, movement created, how fast the fuel is burned. Then it is rocket science :)

Archived