Obesity epidemic. Stuffing yourself to blame?

Yes, but you're implying that choice alone is the reason for the problem and not marketing. Choice is based on knowledge, wealth and a host of other possibilities.

Personally I don't know of anyone who eats to get fat. People do get fat as a result of overeating..there is a difference, the difference being that it isn't Black and White or as simplistic as you make out. Do you think young children who are obese are obese through choice? Do you believe parents are to blame because they want their children fat? You're ignoring pressure, income, education, depression, medication, motivation, discipline and a host of other factors.

When buying a tv do you look at the technicalities and technology which has gone into that product or do you do the same for all similar products as to compare? Or do you just look at price, warranty and pretty gadgets?

You seem to be advocating because you can do something everyone can, which is naive nonsense.

The marketing company or a salesperson- there aim is to get people to buy a product.

Everyone knows that if you stuff your face with junk food and then sit on your bottom all week then you will become fat.

Nobody eats with the intention of getting fat, but if I or anyone took a choice to eat constantly and then sit of the sofa all day I would be fat.

Unless you have a genuine illness, or perhaps you are elderly then in many cases people are fat through choice. They choose to persue a lifestyle that will make them overweight.

A few pages back I made the point that poverty could not be blamed for obesity, because if its cheaper to buy healthy food than it is to buy a takeaway or ready meals, ie, Jacket Potatoes, Rice, Pasta, Fresh Fruit (all cheap).

I cannot see how obesity can be called an epedemic because people can control this illness through their lifestyle.

Nobody eats with the intention of getting fat, but if I or anyone took a choice to eat constantly and then sit of the sofa all day I would be fat.

Unless you have a genuine illness, or perhaps you are elderly then in many cases people are fat through choice. They choose to persue a lifestyle that will make them overweight.

Make your mind up :)

A few pages back I made the point that poverty could not be blamed for obesity, because if its cheaper to buy healthy food than it is to buy a takeaway or ready meals, ie, Jacket Potatoes, Rice, Pasta, Fresh Fruit (all cheap).

I cannot see how obesity can be called an epedemic because people can control this illness through their lifestyle.

Poverty is an issue, that's why obesity is more common in deprived areas.

It's not cheaper to buy healthy food generally.

Most people buy food from supermarkets, where, for example, loaves of white bread are dirt cheap and wholemeal loaves are very expensive (if they even stock it). That's pretty much across the board, rice, pasta etc where white gunk is considerably more expensive than the wholemeal version.

They also tend to stick unnecessary sugar and other rubbish in as much stuff as they can, so, for example, a can of beans which potentially could be quite healthy, is packed out with sugar- totally unnecessary for flavour or health.

Then there's the 'special offers' where it works out cheaper to buy multipacks- in the main those offers are restricted to junk foods, you'll rarely see '2 for 1' on anything healthy.

Then there's the duff 'health advice' by 'experts' which in the past has included public warnings that obesity is caused by eating fat (it isn't, carbs are far more problematic) leading to it actually being quite difficult in a supermarket to find some products that aren't 'low-fat'. Sadly, most 'low fat' versions of products have the fat replaced by sugars and carbs which are actually worse for those with weight issues. Note how obesity has gone through the roof after a decade of 'low fat' products and other dodgy interventions by 'the experts'.

There's no point blaming the underclass for being fat if we as a nation give them incorrect advice and encourage them to eat rubbish by making it way cheaper than healthy food!

Most people buy food from supermarkets, where, for example, loaves of white bread are dirt cheap and wholemeal loaves are very expensive (if they even stock it). That's pretty much across the board, rice, pasta etc where white gunk is considerably more expensive than the wholemeal version.

They also tend to stick unnecessary sugar and other rubbish in as much stuff as they can, so, for example, a can of beans which potentially could be quite healthy, is packed out with sugar- totally unnecessary for flavour or health.

Then there's the 'special offers' where it works out cheaper to buy multipacks- in the main those offers are restricted to junk foods, you'll rarely see '2 for 1' on anything healthy.

Then there's the duff 'health advice' by 'experts' which in the past has included public warnings that obesity is caused by eating fat (it isn't, carbs are far more problematic) leading to it actually being quite difficult in a supermarket to find some products that aren't 'low-fat'. Sadly, most 'low fat' versions of products have the fat replaced by sugars and carbs which are actually worse for those with weight issues. Note how obesity has gone through the roof after a decade of 'low fat' products and other dodgy interventions by 'the experts'.

There's no point blaming the underclass for being fat if we as a nation give them incorrect advice and encourage them to eat rubbish by making it way cheaper than healthy food!

Or is it because lazy people end up being poor?

Some are not fat because they are poor; they are poor and fat because they are lazy.

Or is it because lazy people end up being poor?

Some are not fat because they are poor; they are poor and fat because they are lazy.

No. I'm lazy, and minted because of it.

You don't have to be fat, thin, poor, rich, attractive, unattractive, a gimp, gay to be lazy..then again you could be one or all of them.

No. I'm lazy, and minted because of it.

You don't have to be fat, thin, poor, rich, attractive, unattractive, a gimp, gay to be lazy..then again you could be one or all of them.

I missed some out of the top sentence but I did include it in the other sentence.

Quite simply you don't get fat because you are poor, if you are fat and poor it’s more likely because you are lazy.

I missed some out of the top sentence but I did include it in the other sentence.

Quite simply you don't get fat because you are poor, if you are fat and poor it’s more likely because you are lazy.

And if you're fat and rich, is that likely because you're an athlete?

Eric Pickles is really fat. He says we should all work hard, presumably like he does :huh:

Oh please. That's just the sort of lazy rhetoric we have come to expect from the Poverty Industry. People are fat because they take in more calories than they use up. EVERYBODY knows that. Packaging comes with the calorific value of the food it contains so there are no excuses for not knowing how many calories you are taking in.

Fatness is caused by stupidity, and stupidity alone. There is no mystery to it. It's not a dark art or a jealously guarded secret. Maintaining a healthy weight is simply a matter of mathematics.

Eat more calories than you use up = weight gain.

Eat less calories than you use up = weight loss.

If people can't afford so called healthy foods they can compensate accordingly by eating less of the unhealthy foods they can afford. They just choose not to. And that is the cause of the problem; people choose to be fat.

Oh please. That's just the sort of lazy rhetoric we have come to expect from the Poverty Industry. People are fat because they take in more calories than they use up. EVERYBODY knows that. Packaging comes with the calorific value of the food it contains so there are no excuses for not knowing how many calories you are taking in.

My quote (belew) actually contained several distinct and valid points, which, if you want to critisise, you'll need to address and/or disprove. It's ironic that, having skipped all of them and dismissed them with the old, tired 'calories are everyting' cliche (they're not), that you throw accusations of laziness around :)

My post was-

feel free to read it and, if you disagree with any of the points made, please do attempt to criticise them-

Fatness is caused by stupidity, and stupidity alone. There is no mystery to it. It's not a dark art or a jealously guarded secret. Maintaining a healthy weight is simply a matter of mathematics.

If that were right (it isn't), then there could be no fat, intelligent people. I'm not a big fan of Stephan Fry- but he's clearly highly intelligent, and, overweight- as are millions of other highly intelligent people.

Equally, if fat were caused by stupidity, there could be no thin, intelligent people- need I go on?

Clearly, fatness is not caused by stupidity.

Eat more calories than you use up = weight gain.

Eat less calories than you use up = weight loss.

That's a good place to start. Now figure in the other relevant facts, such as the habit forming/addictive aspects of most carbs, the fact that many people have deep emotional issues that lead them to overeat, the fact that, as a society, we push/promote certain highly unhealthy foods and target that marketing to precisely those groups least able to resist it etc,etc.

Here's a fact- if we, as a society, continue to push the 'calories is everything' approach, or the equally useless 'fat is the cause of obesity' approach, as we've done over the past couple of decades, then obesity will continue to rise, as that approach clearly does not work.

Archived