Obesity epidemic. Stuffing yourself to blame?

My quote (belew) actually contained several distinct and valid points, which, if you want to critisise, you'll need to address and/or disprove. It's ironic that, having skipped all of them and dismissed them with the old, tired 'calories are everyting' cliche (they're not), that you throw accusations of laziness around :)

If that were right (it isn't), then there could be no fat, intelligent people. I'm not a big fan of Stephan Fry- but he's clearly highly intelligent, and, overweight- as are millions of other highly intelligent people.

Clearly, fatness is not caused by stupidity.

I did read your post and it overwhelmingly confirms that fatness is caused by stupidity. Let's for the sake of argument assume you are intelligent. You know about the white bread and the use of sugar and all the other stuff you quote. So by your own admission you know what foods are unhealthy and should be avoided. So do I. I'll assume that if you know all this you are not overweight.

So somebody who knows all that stuff and is still fat OR someone who does still not know all that despite saturation media coverage must be less intelligent than you. Consequently, they must be stupid.

In respect of Stephen Fry, he chooses to be fat. Which is exactly the point I am making .............................. people are fat because they choose to be. Stop being an apologist for people who are too lazy and too stupid to look after themselves.

I did read your post and it overwhelmingly confirms that fatness is caused by stupidity. Let's for the sake of argument assume you are intelligent. You know about the white bread and the use of sugar and all the other stuff you quote. So by your own admission you know what foods are unhealthy and should be avoided. So do I. I'll assume that if you know all this you are not overweight.

So somebody who knows all that stuff and is still fat OR someone who does still not know all that despite saturation media coverage must be less intelligent than you. Consequently, they must be stupid.

In respect of Stephen Fry, he chooses to be fat. Which is exactly the point I am making .............................. people are fat because they choose to be. Stop being an apologist for people who are too lazy and too stupid to look after themselves.

????

Oh dear... :)

The reasons I'm not overweight include-

1. 2 hours cycling most days, along with regular weights/kettlebell sessions

2. Heavily restricting the amounts of carbs I eat, which includes use of wholemeal bread etc, which, despite being much healthier than white bread, is still mainly carbs and therefore can tend to cause weight gain

3. Steadfastly refusing to accept the advice of 'experts' of matters of weight loss and health, and, instead, doing my own research on such matters, which, often leads me to very different conclusions to that of the 'experts'. One case in point being an absolute refusal to touch the 'low fat' versions of food peddled in all supermarkets, which are there due to 'experts' advice, despite the fact that they clearly do not help reduce obesity, but, only make it worse.

I am intelligent, but that does not mean that anyone less intelligent than me is stupid!

It means that they are simply less intelligent than me- it's entirely possible to be highly inteilligent, yet be less intelligent than someone else.

Additionally, as i mentioned above, 2 hours cycling and regular weights/kettlebells sessions clearly help to keep my weight down- but it would be a bit bizarre to expect everyone with a weight problem to train to that extreme.

What the average person needs is simply some correct official advice, stuff that actually works, along with some moves to sort out the perpetual incessent peddling of rubbish by 'food' sellers, advertisers/marketers, all geared towards the vulnerable (the young, the underclass, the poor etc).

That's my opinion- I'm lucky, I have the time and the intelligence to have sorted out something that works for my health, fitness, and weight situation- many people do not have that amount of time necessary to do the research or the training.

When I were a lad in the 1950s, my Mum (grhs) fed us on home made meat pies, suet puds, jam sponges, mash spuds, meat etc.

My Dad was as thin as a rake, he had a manual job.

I was as thin as rake, 18 years old and 9.5 stone.

Why? We didn't have a car, we all walked into town,2 miles, I cycled to school, 3 miles each way, back for lunch.

12 miles a day for 6 years.

Then cycled to college, 12 miles a day for 4 years.

I started to put on weight when I got married and travelled by bus to work and stopped cycling.

Too fat.. you eat too much for your life style.

It's not rocket science.

????

Oh dear... :)

2. Heavily restricting the amounts of carbs I eat, which includes use of wholemeal bread etc, which, despite being much healthier than white bread, is still mainly carbs and therefore can tend to cause weight gain

3. Steadfastly refusing to accept the advice of 'experts' of matters of weight loss and health, and, instead, doing my own research on such matters, which, often leads me to very different conclusions to that of the 'experts'. One case in point being an absolute refusal to touch the 'low fat' versions of food peddled in all supermarkets, which are there due to 'experts' advice, despite the fact that they clearly do not help reduce obesity, but, only make it worse.

I am intelligent, but that does not mean that anyone less intelligent than me is stupid!

It means that they are simply less intelligent than me- it's entirely possible to be highly inteilligent, yet be less intelligent than someone else.

Additionally, as i mentioned above, 2 hours cycling and regular weights/kettlebells sessions clearly help to keep my weight down- but it would be a bit bizarre to expect everyone with a weight problem to train to that extreme.

What the average person needs is simply some correct official advice, stuff that actually works, along with some moves to sort out the perpetual incessent peddling of rubbish by 'food' sellers, advertisers/marketers, all geared towards the vulnerable (the young, the underclass, the poor etc).

That's my opinion- I'm lucky, I have the time and the intelligence to have sorted out something that works for my health, fitness, and weight situation- many people do not have that amount of time necessary to do the research or the training.

Quite agree with you regarding your diet but exercise doesn't make you lose weight. A complete myth. Carb's are bad no doubt. Moderate exercise is ok.

Anything else is up to the invidual. Calories in doessn't match calories out.

????

You make it sound as though you can only be thin if you train. You are peddling (geddit?) the myth that only fit people can be thin. I think you'll find hungry people are thin without the need for a lot of intensive training. And that is exactly what some of these fatties need ....................... to be hungry once in a while. You don't need to be a fitness fanatic to be thin, you just need to eat less. :roll:

Quite agree with you regarding your diet but exercise doesn't make you lose weight. A complete myth. Carb's are bad no doubt. Moderate exercise is ok.

Anything else is up to the invidual. Calories in doessn't match calories out.

In my experience, exercise does make you lose weight. I lost 1.5 stone last summer while cycling 2-4 hours every day, with no change in diet. I was pretty much 11.5 stone then, which is the lightest I've been for decades.

You make it sound as though you can only be thin if you train. You are peddling (geddit?) the myth that only fit people can be thin. I think you'll find hungry people are thin without the need for a lot of intensive training. And that is exactly what some of these fatties need ....................... to be hungry once in a while. You don't need to be a fitness fanatic to be thin, you just need to eat less. :roll:

I'm not actually, like I posted above-

and, in the same post-

i.e. exercise is one way to lower weight, certainly not the only one, and, 2+hrs hard exercise daily is clearly not practical for most people.

It's about cravings. A double whopper with cheese, mayo, lettuce tomatoes and onions and a side order of supersize fries makes my mouth water at times. We eat very healthy at our house. Lots of turkey, chicken, lean meat, fruit and vegs but sometimes that old demon "the whopper" crops up. You have to fight it when it does. Here in California all food served in restaurants has to have a calorie count shown on the menu. The amount of calories shown on a double whopper and fries is alarming to say the least. That's why I only yield to it three or four times a year

Many others no doubt have much less will power than mine

It's about cravings. A double whopper with cheese, mayo, lettuce tomatoes and onions and a side order of supersize fries makes my mouth water at times. We eat very healthy at our house. Lots of turkey, chicken, lean meat, fruit and vegs but sometimes that old demon "the whopper" crops up. You have to fight it when it does. Here in California all food served in restaurants has to have a calorie count shown on the menu. The amount of calories shown on a double whopper and fries is alarming to say the least. That's why I only yield to it three or four times a year

Many others no doubt have much less will power than mine

Got to agree, when i see food advertised it makes me drool but if i have a KFC or any type of take away i know when to stop eating even though my brain says eat it. I feel sorry for fat people, i really think they can not say no. Too easy to take the mick out them. It's in bred in humans to eat as much as possible because they would not have known when the next meal would be available. Even though this is many thousands of years ago, it is still in us.

Archived