Obesity epidemic. Stuffing yourself to blame?

Got to agree, when i see food advertised it makes me drool but if i have a KFC or any type of take away i know when to stop eating even though my brain says eat it. I feel sorry for fat people, i really think they can not say no. Too easy to take the mick out them. It's in bred in humans to eat as much as possible because they would not have known when the next meal would be available. Even though this is many thousands of years ago, it is still in us.

The brain is to blame. I used to snack between supper and bedtime for many years specially when in front of the TV. Fortunately I exercised a lot so that kept the weight off but even so at around 8:00 Pm every evening I got a craving to go raid the fridge even though just over two hours earlier I had eaten a good sized nourishing supper.

I found out that the brain rules the stomach. It's the brain that puts in the suggestion that we're feeling peckish and need a snack at a a certain time. The stomach and the rest of the body has no say in it. Once I realized that I fought the urge every night for about two weeks until the brain realized that I rule it and after that the urge to snack just disappeared

The brain is to blame. I used to snack between supper and bedtime for many years specially when in front of the TV. Fortunately I exercised a lot so that kept the weight off but even so at around 8:00 Pm every evening I got a craving to go raid the fridge even though just over two hours earlier I had eaten a good sized nourishing supper.

I found out that the brain rules the stomach. It's the brain that puts in the suggestion that we're feeling peckish and need a snack at a a certain time. The stomach and the rest of the body has no say in it. Once I realized that I fought the urge every night for about two weeks until the brain realized that I rule it and after that the urge to snack just disappeared

Well said. It's hard to refuse food and especially how it is marketed. Feel hungry now.

It's about cravings. A double whopper with cheese, mayo, lettuce tomatoes and onions and a side order of supersize fries makes my mouth water at times. We eat very healthy at our house. Lots of turkey, chicken, lean meat, fruit and vegs but sometimes that old demon "the whopper" crops up. You have to fight it when it does. Here in California all food served in restaurants has to have a calorie count shown on the menu. The amount of calories shown on a double whopper and fries is alarming to say the least. That's why I only yield to it three or four times a year

Many others no doubt have much less will power than mine

I agree, with me though I don’t know what I’m craving so I just keep eating until I find the food I was craving for. :D

Quite agree with you regarding your diet but exercise doesn't make you lose weight. A complete myth. Carb's are bad no doubt. Moderate exercise is ok.

Anything else is up to the invidual. Calories in doessn't match calories out.

Exercise increases the calories out, so as long as you don't increase the calories in as well it does make you loose weight.

But that's exercising self discipline isn't it? You can't suggest that over here. The entire Obesity Industry will be up in arms at the very idea people might be able to avoid being fat by exercising self restraint. That doesn't fit with their blame culture at all. You have to remember that in this country you can't expect people to take responsibility for own disastrous life choices. There is always someone else to blame if you try hard enough and come up with enough spurious reasoning.

The marketing company or a salesperson- there aim is to get people to buy a product.

Everyone knows that if you stuff your face with junk food and then sit on your bottom all week then you will become fat.

Nobody eats with the intention of getting fat, but if I or anyone took a choice to eat constantly and then sit of the sofa all day I would be fat.

Unless you have a genuine illness, or perhaps you are elderly then in many cases people are fat through choice. They choose to persue a lifestyle that will make them overweight.

A few pages back I made the point that poverty could not be blamed for obesity, because if its cheaper to buy healthy food than it is to buy a takeaway or ready meals, ie, Jacket Potatoes, Rice, Pasta, Fresh Fruit (all cheap).

I cannot see how obesity can be called an epedemic because people can control this illness through their lifestyle.

Low thyroid? lol

Here in California all food served in restaurants has to have a calorie count shown on the menu.
They're doing that in the fast food places here now. Is that in all restaurants over there? Because thats quite a buzz kill if you're eating out somewhere decent

According to an article in todays MoS,'Wild animals also suffer from obesity, but -

'When vets see animals getting fatter, they don't say, 'this animal has poor willpower,' they ask 'what's going on in that animal's surroundings?' They don't see obesity as a disease of an individual; they see it as a disease of the environment.'

Interesting.

According to an article in todays MoS,'Wild animals also suffer from obesity, but -

'When vets see animals getting fatter, they don't say, 'this animal has poor willpower,' they ask 'what's going on in that animal's surroundings?' They don't see obesity as a disease of an individual; they see it as a disease of the environment.'

Interesting.

Because animals don't feed themselves(humans do), if they did and there were big wobbly whale sized dogs around it would be lack of will power/gluttony and or sloth.

If a fat person has surroundings that involve him stuffing his face with high calorie foods and sitting watching tv, then yes a change of surroundings would fix that individual. For example a labour camp with a restricted diet would work.

Because animals don't feed themselves(humans do), if they did and there were big wobbly whale sized dogs around it would be lack of will power/gluttony and or sloth.

If a fat person has surroundings that involve him stuffing his face with high calorie foods and sitting watching tv, then yes a change of surroundings would fix that individual. For example a labour camp with a restricted diet would work.

I'm talking about wild animals, not domestic.

Archived