Obesity epidemic. Stuffing yourself to blame?

What I’ve noticed is that the more excuses society finds to normalize being fat, the more fat people we have in society. The US and Britain are wealthy countries and have the most fat people whilst the poorest countries have the least fat people, so being fat must be more to do with being wealthy than poor. Poor people tend to eat less and walk more; fat people tend eat more and walk less. When we stop spending our money on cars and food we will be less fat.:)

But we're not allowed to cycle in Sheffield :D

Utter rubbish

I agree. Quality food is not a necessity, healthy food is and is not over expensive it just lacks appeal. Time factor is another issue and many parents will not find the time to cook up a healthy meal or prepare in advance when they do have time. There is a distinct lack of imagination when it comes to cooking, it's easier to reach for a pre-cooked box of ****e than it is to design a meal that even without meat can be tasty.

I agree. Quality food is not a necessity, healthy food is and is not over expensive it just lacks appeal. Time factor is another issue and many parents will not find the time to cook up a healthy meal or prepare in advance when they do have time. There is a distinct lack of imagination when it comes to cooking, it's easier to reach for a pre-cooked box of ****e than it is to design a meal that even without meat can be tasty.

Absolutely spot on.

Spagetti - the value brand can cost as little as 30p, quality brand £1

Mince Meat - 500g, cost £2.40 from a supermarket

Look for a bolognase sauce, as little as £1 for a good brand, half that for a cheap brand.

30p + 50p + £2.40 = just over £3, which would provide a number of meals, contrast that with one big mac, that feeds one person (snacks one person, not feeds them), chinese takeaway £5 for a meal (one person), if 4 people need feeding then thats £20.

With the example I gave you can feed 4 people for about £3

You could go on, carrots, potatos, peas, chicken all cheap. Compare that with 1 pizza, its simply a non argument that good food is expensive.

Its down to being lazy

Absolutely spot on.

Look for a bolognase sauce, as little as £1 for a good brand, half that for a cheap brand.

30p + 50p + £2.40 = just over £3, which would provide a number of meals, contrast that with one big mac, that feeds one person (snacks one person, not feeds them), chinese takeaway £5 for a meal (one person), if 4 people need feeding then thats £20.

You could go on, carrots, potatos, peas, chicken all cheap. Compare that with 1 pizza, its simply a non argument that good food is expensive.

Its down to being lazy

Sorry, but your healthy option is likely to be anything but.

Spaghetti is a processed food, particularly the dried kind which will have preservatives added. Mince meat can contain as much c*** as sausage, including fillers, mixers, hormones, recovered meat products and tons of fat,

Bolognaise sauce is also a processed food and probably contains tons of sugar or sugar product which will be even more calorific, and salt. Of course more expensive meat is more likely to be proper minced meat, but then we hit the quality issue and the poverty issue.

At least you're trying to cook your own, but in reality that would mean making your own sauce from scratch, and even your own pasta from flour and water. See what I mean? Trying to provide real food is a nightmare these days.

I also find your posts naiive and over-simplifying the situation. You can't compare the diets of two people who have such very different consumer and thus eating experiences.

Processed crap is making us fatter whilst quality food is becoming out of the reach of the poor. Fat is an economic issue in this country and there is no getting round that.

You are correct about not being able to live without food, that's why it's worse than other addictions, like alcohol. Alcoholics on proven programmes are advised to totally abstain from drinking but it's more complicated when you have to eat to survive.

It's no more to eat healthy than it is to eat crap!

Spaghetti is a processed food, particularly the dried kind which will have preservatives added. Mince meat can contain as much c*** as sausage, including fillers, mixers, hormones, recovered meat products and tons of fat,

Bolognaise sauce is also a processed food and probably contains tons of sugar or sugar product which will be even more calorific, and salt. Of course more expensive meat is more likely to be proper minced meat, but then we hit the quality issue and the poverty issue.

At least you're trying to cook your own, but in reality that would mean making your own sauce from scratch, and even your own pasta from flour and water. See what I mean? Trying to provide real food is a nightmare these days.

Why is it a nightmare these days? What has changed? Core ingredients have not changed. Fruit, veg, pulses, pasta, they all still exist. The only thing that has changed is the massive range of alternatives to getting off your arse and actually cooking something.

You can get tinned tomatoes for about 30p (to help with the bolognaise sauce), kidney beans for about 40p if you are wanting to make a chilli con carne.

Another example, chicken 3 pieces (value chicken) costs about £4. Put one of the chicken breasts (one chicken brest into the stir fry and put the remaining 2 breasts into the freezers for another meal another day) into a stir fry, pack it up full of rice (value rice to save money), some peas, soy sauce and perhaps an egg into the mix

Result = family of 4 fed on about £2 for the meal.

Not so sure you are correct regarding the Spaghetti, even the cheapest brands are low in saturates and sodium. Red meat in moderation is ok which leaves the sauce which if bought will almost certainly be the culprit in the unhealthy stakes.

The point is that there are alternatives between expensive cuts of meat and visiting the local fat distributor if people cared to take a bit of time.

Absolutely spot on.

Its down to being lazy

Supermarket mince meat! Healthy!?! And you have the audacity to say my post is utter rubbish!:hihi:

By the way, I'm talking about supermarket food prices, not takeaway prices, you are not comparing like with like. Get real, stop cheating in an attempt to rubbish someone elses post. Show me where budget supermarket sausage is no cheaper than an unadulterated lean cut of meat, please.

Archived